1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coldplay

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Jun 16, 2008.

?

Love or hate?

1. Love

17 vote(s)
    43.6%
  2. Hate

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. Meh.

17 vote(s)
    43.6%
  1. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

You know how I know I'm gay? I listen to Coldplay.

(I'm really not gay though, ladies :) )

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You know how I know you don't read the threads? You make jokes that were already made on this thread.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Meh.

They have written one interesting riff (Talk), and tmost of their songs just kind of sit there and don't go anywhere. I do dislike the way dude says "Where I wanTTHHed TTHHHH go" at the fadeout of Clocks. (If that's what he's saying).

I would be able to take them or leave them if music press, fans, and their own pretentiousness didn't cast them as some kind of U2 Redux. Throw in Martin's a-hole attitude toward the media, and:

Meh for their music. Hate for their image.

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I'd like to state that I'm proud to be the only black guy in the world who loves coldplay. And yes, I will be buying the album. :D

EDIT: Come to think of it, Kanye had Chris Martin on his song "Homecoming". So I guess that makes me and Kanye.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

While "Shiver" is one of my favorite songs of the past decade or so, I've gradually lost interest.

I mean, do they really need three years to make the SAME fucking album?

6. Boognish

Boognish Member

Thought this was pretty interesting. A smart publicity stunt for the little guy, if anything.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And Lupe Fiasco, who had him sing the hook to "Superstar."

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Love Coldplay.

But two times through the album.... no toes tingling.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Love Coldplay. One of the best bands of the last decade.

Yes, Chris Martin takes himself way too seriously, but the same can be said for most of the best musicians (Bruce, Bono, Stipe, Vedder etc...)

10. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Chris didn't sing the hook. It was Matthew Santos. Though he does sound like him.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They are the type of band I have to listen to the album 4-5 times before I have an opinon.

I just fired up Napster so I am sitting one.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Coldplay didn't write their one interesting riff. It was copped from Kraftwerk's "Computer Love." (Coldplay gave them credit.)

Coldplay to me is a void-filler. Radiohead declined to be the next big arena band (not totally to its credit, given how it's put out increasingly dull music), so Coldplay, the most successful Radiohead imitator, filled the vacuum.

Draft saved Draft deleted