1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cold and Flu Rememdies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

OK. I have the flu — well, maybe not a full-fledged flu, but I'm sick. I ache all over, can't stay warm (then sweat like crazy), cough up phlegm and have some sinus congestion. I'm nauseous, but I haven't "refunded." [/georgecostanza].

I'm not sure if there is or was a thread on this, but let's start one.

Do you have anything that remedies these symptoms (or others)? Would you care to share?

I'm not a fan of prescription drugs, but I take vitamin C and drink LOTS of orange juice in a time like this.

Anyone else have anything they think is a "cure" or "home remedy" to colds, flus, etc?

(drink heavily post in three . . . two . . . one . . .)

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

My grandma always took a stick of peppermint and put it in hot tea to drink. It almost always does the trick for me.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Tortellini soup and ginger ale.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

If your stomach can handle it, a plate of hot wings works for me to clear head congestion.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Alcohol kills nearly all micro-organisms.

Just sayin' ...

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Been sick all week. I really don't see puking (or "refunding") as something I want to avoid -- if I feel that bad, I want to throw up, get rid of whatever's down there. I'll drink lots of water to induce it.

If it's a cold, zinc in addition to vitamin C. Lots of fluids. Also I rub Vick's Vaporub under my nostrils before going to bed.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

Alka Seltzer Cold Plus Nighttime.
    You'll sleep. Well.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I cackle every time I see "refunding."

9. ralph wiggum

ralph wiggum Member

Even if you don't like cold and flu drugs, Pete, check you tempurature (those chills followed by sweats could be a feaver) and if it's high, take some some tylenol to lower the feaver.

Either that or whiskey.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

What is this "feaver" of which you speak? :D

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I like "ralphed." I have a friend named Ralph and sometimes I laugh for what he probably thinks is no apparent reason.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

NyQuil and DayQuil. Tomato soup and grilled cheese. Lots of fluids and vitamins. Once it's all just in your head, go to the gym or go for a little run or bike ride outside to get some fresh air in you. A sauna doesn't hurt either. In fact, it helps since germs can't survive in temperatures that hot.

And find Mrs. Incaviglia too and get a little nookie. You think I'm joking, but I'm not. Sex helps.

Draft saved Draft deleted