1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colbert gets his rocks off

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jan 5, 2010.

1. I do, too, for all those reasons, plus my personal favorite — skeleton, the head-first luge. Nothing like seeing somebody barrell down a mountain at 75 mph or so head-first.

And I'm with you. Figure skating is one event I make it a point NOT to watch. Like gymnastics in the summer games, I'm not crazy about any sport you need a panel of "judges" to use subjective criteria to determine who wins. For that matter, I'm a little disappointed they're using "style" points in addition to distances in ski jumping these days.

2. AD

AD Active Member

if i remember right, american idol crushed the torino olympics....

3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I'm sure somebody will go and do the math, but I have a gut feeling that the Winter Olympics have more "sports" that fall outside my definition of sports [a) have a defense, b) have a definitive measurement for winning like time, distance, accuracy] than the Summer Games. If a "sport" is judged (judged, not officiated), like figure skating, gymnastics and even ski jumping, I'm less a fan of it. And that's what hurts most of the "pothead" X Games sports, not what the athletes wear or listen to.

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I'm going to watch every moment I can.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The only problem I have with the Winter Olympics is that there are 15 variations on every event and it's too easy for an athlete to compete in all of them.

6. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Ever heard of Michael Phelps?

7. RickStain

Yes. The ratio of repeated events is still much higher in the Winter Olympics.

8. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I hear ya...Like in Lake Placid when Mike Eruzione scored vs. Russia, and the next day he fell in the pairs ice dancing...it sucked.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Examples?

I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Last time I checked not too many hockey players were on the curling team or any curlers on the bobsled, luge, figure skating or ski jumping teams.

As a matter of fact, here's a complete schedule of all the events. I can't find one where any athlete would participate in more than one discipline

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-schedule-results/

You might want to rethink that statement.

10. RickStain

I think this graphic makes it a little easier to see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Winter_Olympics#Calendar

Out of 86 gold medals up for grabs:

10 are in Alpine skiing
    10 are in the biathalon
    12 are in cross-country skiing
    20 are in speed skating (short track and regular)

That's one short of half the medals taken up by four disciplines.

Contrast with the summer olympics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Summer_Olympics#Calendar

Swimming and the vague "athletics" are the only two categories to take up more than 10% of the available golds, and they combine for less than 1/4th.

I find the swimming a bit boring (outside of rare moments like Phelps) for the same reason in the summers. You tune into the Olympics to see an athlete compete as the culmination of a lifetime of work, often with just one shot to shine. It takes a lot of the drama out of it when you know the guy gets six more chances in the next week.

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Good point. That's why I don't watch Usain Bolt.

I wish they just had the events of "run" "swim" and "throw" to go along with "ski" and "skate" (skate-skiing will be allowed, too)

12. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

fine, but it's the WINTER. The season is short, and there are only so many sports you can do. They could just as easily move the swimming events to the winter games because they're indoors.

Draft saved Draft deleted