1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coin flip determines NCAA Men's College Cup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

And that's fine, it's part of the way hockey has always been played. But the point is there shouldn't be hard and fast rule for what works for similar sports.

Hockey, by its nature, has far more shots on goal and scoring opportunities than soccer. That's part of why you can play overtime, because in a 20-minute overtime, you're going to get around 15-20 shots on goal, on average.

In soccer, you'd have to play a whole second game to get that many attempts, let alone actual shots that hit the target.

College soccer, which I've watched far more of this season than before, is intrinsically a defensive game. Many coaches and teams favor a 4-5-1 formation, and try to keep games as defensively tight as possible, at times to the detriment of attacking soccer. Virginia and Akron were in the final, and they were the two tightest defensive teams in the country this season. The Cavaliers held a 0.29 GAA entering the Final Four and the Zips a 0.30 GAA. That's the nature of the sport at that level.

Shootouts are part of the way soccer is played, from high school and youth games to the World Cup final. And that's ok.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I cannot get worked up over soccer.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

"That's how we've always done it."

Nice.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I don't see anyone playing defense when someone is playing home run derby, or shooting free throws, or even playing horse.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:) :D ;D

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Soccer coach at a school I cover is being a real ass, going through the media to make his demands for a new contract known. Made for great copy but I can understand the school being pissed.
    School calls his bluff. Says search for new coach is on.
    Coach does backstroke says he doesn't mean it.
    AD says tough shit, see ya.
    It goes back and forth, gets ugly.

So I ask the AD off the record one day - the guy is good, yeah, but is he good enough to be worth this much hassle?
    Priceless answer: "I think he's pretty good. Fuck if I know for sure. Every time I watch a game, all the goals look like accidents."

Many are - and that's not to take away from the brilliance or the skill level of the players or anything. They are incredible athletes with great skills. But the "nature of the sport at that level" is indeed such that goals are at a premium.
    Seriously, Akron could have won without scoring a real goal in two games in the final four. Not one.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

What's your point?

And Moddy, couldn't that just be as a result of Virginia being a terrific side defensively?

I see teams with great defenses praised all the time in American sports. Why does it become an issue when it prevents another team from scoring, and causing a shootout to decide a championship?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The thousands of empty seats at the biggest NCAA soccer game of the year, in the heart of soccer country, say many people agree with you.

I watched the entire game, have watched or played soccer for decades, and games like today certainly aren't helping in bringing it much past a niche sport.

I've been to a CWS, a Frozen Four, bowl games and NCAA tournament basketball games. Nothing I've ever seen in the worst game at any of those events was as coma-inducing as a College Cup Final Four in which nobody on the four best teams in college soccer can score a goal.

9. JackReacher

My point is that "That's the way we've always done it." is one hell of a lazy excuse to keep from changing things.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A shootout is a trumped up term here. It is penalty kicks - and don't we all agree that a well struck PK cannot be stopped?
    FIVE shots on goal combined by the two best teams in the country in 110 minutes.

Come up with ways to make it a bit easier to score. You can still be a great defense but the bar is changed. Two against is a great number instead of 0.39 or whatever.

Bookies love soccer because it is easy to figure lines. Over/under on every game played is 1.

11. JackReacher

Same with hockey. It's always 5.5. Every now and then, it's either 5 or 6. Usually 5.5, if I'm not mistaken.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Sorry Buck, but those guys were fouled during the game. Good pulls, but not apropos.

Draft saved Draft deleted