1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coffee thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Aug 9, 2008.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I use that one, but with the glass carafe, not the thermal carafe. I like yours better. Remember to change to the water filter. It's great to grind the beans just before brewing. Microwave the beans right before brewing just to warm them up. It releases some oils in the beans and makes for a better cup of coffee.

I also use a French Press when I don't want a whole pot of coffee. It tends to be stronger than brewed coffee.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've used it and it is very good - but there are alternatives that are just as good and less expensive.

3. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

i have nothing to do with this coffee, but some friends in seattle run it. i've only had it once, when i was out there recently, and i enjoyed it. a pound of the coffee should be arriving at my place soon.
    http://www.signalcoffee.com/aboutus.asp

4. Moderator1

Sipping some freshly ground Trader Joe's Smooth and Mellow blend right now. Good stuff. A Trader Joe's opens here in October and I may make this my regular coffee. Cheaper than Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts and Intelligentsia and Gevalia *** and good. I pick it up now on my way to or from a Nats game. About the only thing that makes those trips worthwhile.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This was more a function of luck than any know-how, but I have a relatively inexpensive Krups Espresso machine that I must have bought 10 to 15 years ago. It is in pristine shape. I have taken care of it. It is the Krups 963/B. I can't remember how much I paid for it, but it it was significantly cheaper than the high-end foofy models. It was probably a low to medium quality kind of model at the time.

I know another couple who bought this machine, still has it and uses it every day. It can do a good latte and I will do that for friends still, but now I don't drink milk. So I use it just for Espresso and it never lets me down. It just does a perfect job and even has an attachment to pour right into two shot glasses. I sometimes poor the shots into some fresh-brewed coffee for a Red Eye. Start out with good espresso, keep it as whole bean and grind right before you are ready to make the espresso. Pack the holder the espresso goes into tight.

I don't see how the machines that cost 5 or 10 times as much as this one must have could have done a better job and lasted as long as this one has. It still is in great shape. It still looks new and makes a perfect cup. So there is hope. If you can find one of those relics -- the Krups 963/B -- somehow, I recommend it. If not, I guess try to do some research. I am sure a lot of the low-end models suck and break easily. But there may be a gem like this machine out there.

6. tadwriter

tadwriter Member

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Yuban coffee. Strong but very good. My fav is still Chock Full 'O Nuts. And it's good in either reg. or decaf.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Chock is solid, but there are higher levels of hot, caffeinated goodness.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

When I was a kid, my folks drank Gevalia, as it was really the only way to get good coffee to the hinterlands.

These days, as Moddy said, there are much cheaper options.

9. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

French Press only. And it won't clutter your counter. It it won't have a God-%$#@&* ready light to draw power or even worse a giant dial face that glows like the nuke plant in Springfield. F that.

Boil water. Grind beans. Pour in. Wait 3-5 minutes. Press down. Enjoy.

And screw Starbucks and their $2 coffee, too.

10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Was forced to get a press because I have a tiny ass kitchen. Was a bit hesitant at first, but love the thing. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this coffee:

http://www.timhortons.com/en/menu/store_Merchandise.html

Solid coffee and better than that swill from Dunkin donuts.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

You guys have just about sold me on the dern French press. I unplug my coffeemaker everyday so it won't suck energy. This sounds really appealing.

12. Moderator1

I love a French press but mine was a serious pain in the ass to clean. Coffee was really damn good.

Draft saved Draft deleted