1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cocktails, Spirits and Mixology Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, May 15, 2012.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Agreed, it is not something I order outside of the tropics. I smuggled some Cuban mint out of the country and tried to grow it in a pot in the backyard to make my own but no luck.

I had been gifted a few bottles of high end Tequila from some Mexican business acquaintances that I wasted on my drunken poker buddies and my wife used in our Margarita maker one summer, would love to get my hands on some again but can't justify the cost!
    Mojitos are delicious. I don't care if they're girly drinks.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yup. Same here. For whatever reason, it doesn't bother me. Whatever they want, I guess. Extra comma or no extra comma. One space or two. Who really gives a shit? It's definitely a pain in the ass when I peer review other people's work (often hundreds of pages) and have to add the second space over and over and over.

Anyway, Mojitos are excellent. I'd hate to know how many I drank during my three-day bachelor party in Miami back in the day. Lots. And as strange as it sounds, I found that one of the local Hooters around here makes above-average mojitos. Yeah. I was shocked, too.

3. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Similarly, I only patronize local luncheonettes who employ the services of a dedicated Sandwich Artist.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL, I'm pretty sure you're mocking me, but a number of top chef's have recently brought their culinary vision to sandwich making:

Graham Elliott: http://www.grahamwich.com/

Rick (brother of Skip) Bayless: http://www.rickbayless.com/menus/xoco/xoco/

And, of course a number of big time chefs have recently opened burger joints.

5. YankeeFan

I'm not sure why folks are having such a hard time with the term "mixologist". Is it just that the word sounds pretentious?

I'm willing to admit it does, and that not every bartender deserves the label, but do you not see the difference between someone who pours drinks and someone who develops the recipe for them?

Shouldn't there be a distinction between them?

6. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Personally, it's because bartending is one of the last noble professions, and if "bartender" isn't good enough for you, you probably suck at it -- because you don't get it.

I don't want to drink anywhere that employs a "mixologist" and neither should anyone else.

Incidentally, the only qualifications for being a "chef" involve being hired to be the "chef" and doing the schedule.

(I love the high-end sandwich concept. I bet most of those are doing very well.)

7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Living out in the styx, I'd kill for some people who gave a crap about making great sandwiches.

8. YankeeFan

Dude, I love bartenders. A good bartender is one of the great joys in life. It is a noble profession, and I hate that so many places don't understand this. I'll take one good, professional bartender over 100 hot chicks pouring drinks.

But, a mixologist is a different job. Does a mixologist also bartend sometimes? Yes, just like a chef might work the line.

But, if you're not going to agree with me on the title of "chef", then there's no way I'm going to convince you to accept the term "mixologist".

And, yeah, I think most of the sandwich places are doing well. Getting a sandwich with well cooked pork belly, pork shoulder, or short rib beats the hell out of some cold cuts.

Rick Bayless' place always has a line. You have to really go at odd hours.

Parking at Graham Elliott's is tough, so I haven't been in a while. He also got some shitty reviews at first, but has re-tooled the menu, and has gotten better reviews since.

9. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Chef just means chief. It's the head cook. There are no qualifications required.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

A mojito is a fine drink, but I would never order one at the average bar. It's too much work for the bartender, even if they have the fresh mint.

Making pitchers of mojitos at home for friends is very cool though.
    And you can steep the mint as the simple syrup cools instead of muddling.

11. YankeeFan

Like journalist? Zing!

Sure, as far as a kitchen being a para-military operation, the Chef is just the top cook.

But, if you've eaten in a restaurant who's menu was designed by a chef, vs. a cook, you'll know the difference.

12. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

How would you know the difference?

The food is good or it isn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted