1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coach's strategy for not talking to the press

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ScribePharisee, Feb 12, 2009.

1. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Got to love the coach that makes his players available to the media after a big win but refuses to do so after a frustrating loss.

Makes it even better when the said coach complains that you point out that he changed his policy and argues that no one cares. Sorry, but a change in interview policy does matter because it usually stems from a deeper problem, i.e., not trusting your players to say the right thing in an interview.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Here is the responces I still had from when I left it open last night:
    Hey, I'm new here.
    Quick question for you Prep coaches out there...
    I don't like to report my results to the newspaper because I think that I'm giving away info on how my wrestlers are doing to other coaches in the area.
    I tell the newspaper guys that if they want the results, they can send a reporter out here, but I'm not doing my opponents' scouting work for them.
    Am I being unreasonable?
    If your a WPIAL coach its required.
    You don't think anyone can find your results?
    The last coach you wrestled against will give them out.
    Its a good Idea to hide things of interest to the fans.
    Then you can say I was a big part of why wrestling finally died.
    This is the only sport that tries to hide things from the media.
    Funny how every Iowa match is on video...in fact every Big 10 match is. They must be worried.
    There is no way you should be worried about being scouted. Your wrestlers should have the attitude that their opponents know what they are going to do. Know what their best moves are and still be able to execute the moves. If your wrestlers are able to do that, then the wrestler knows he's on the right track in wrestling.
    As a coach, I don't think it's a big deal to post scores and details of matches (if an interview is requested.) I'm like Lance Delune.. if you ask me what I'm going to do in a match, I know, and it's up to my opponent to try to stop me. If he can, good for him. If he can't, then good for me.
    Good example is Jake Kemerer. Everyone knows the double leg is coming (better yet, that he's very good on his feet). How many people have stopped it? One in the past 2 years that I know of.. the kid from Georgia at Powerade.
    Not only that, but having a full arsenal of moves also helps. If someone knows for example that I'm going to ride legs, and shows me in the first period that I'm not going to be able to ride them effectively, then I'll go to something else when I'm on top in the rest of the match. People always say that you should have 1 or 2 "go to" moves, and that's true. But, scouting is going to happen (whether you post results in the paper or not), and when it does, you have to have moves 3-10 to go to.
    I hope I got my point across clearly enough. I'm not thinking very well tonight.

Not sure if there was more

3. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Unbelieveable.. Communists!

4. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Yep. It's gone.

5. micke77

micke77 Member

I've covered women's basketball games at our local D-I (it's a very good program) school where there have been times, after a loss in a key game, the coach would come out and say no players were available because they were taking the loss very hard, didn't want to talk to the press, yada...
    hasn't happen in a long time, but still...when it does, it's a pain in the ass.
    the coach would "man up" and "speak" for the players. how courageous. and gag-inducing.

6. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

When a coach does that, it points to bigger issues. Just gives us another reason to look closer at what's going on at practice, etc.

It's laughable when DI coaches want to get "positive" coverage when the win and loss. It doesn't work that way. Hard to make a 20-point loss look good - and shame on anyone in the business that ever tries to do so in print.

7. micke77

micke77 Member

You know, those 20-point losses offer a great time to really write one of those saracastic type of gamers.......and more times than not, the fans and coach of the team whose ass got whipped never catch on to half of the saracasm applied.

Draft saved Draft deleted