1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coaches who won't let players speak to the media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Chase, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

I covered a coach off and on way back who did the no quote deal and could never understand why he didn't get as much coverage.
    The Seton players have talked for off-day stories, and the Times of NW Indiana quoted their coach quoting a player from the day before a game in a gamer, so the whole point of no quotes seems to be clumsily managed.
    Here's another odd one from Chicago. Players from top-ranked Simeon don't talk to print media after games, but do talk to Comcast SportsNet, which is doing a sponsored season-long series on the team.

2. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

That's lame...I'm guessing I'm in the same boat as most others on here. If I send a reporter to a game and it doesn't have quotes from players, I ask why? And, I always try to make an effort that if I talk with a kid after the game I do my best to get some quote into the story. Seems tough to get a kid excited to be interviewed only to pick up the paper the next day and find nothing used.

3. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

That's crap. So when they win the state title, there will be no player quotes? Wow. Very impressive and mature.

4. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

The Ohio High School Athletic Association requires coaches and players to attend postgame press conferences at the state tournament.
    I've never had a coach refuse a player interview, but if I did I'd be sure to mention it in the story, especially if the coach only granted interviews for certain media outlets.

Draft saved Draft deleted