1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coaches poll out; Florida No. 2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-Backs Hack, Dec 3, 2006.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Any system other than a playoff is illogical. Therefore, every argument, pro or con, on every team involved, will be an illogical argument. On its face, there isn't a stance out there that makes sense.
    Given the system, Florida going to No. 2 makes sense.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Whoever it is should never be allowed to vote again. I'd say that's a blatant example of trying to manipulate the system toavoid a rematch.

3. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

That would be former Iowa State coach Jim Walden. No idea why - he has no UF ties.

4. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

How about Larry Keech voting UF fifth, behind Wisconsin (with Boise State number 2) - that's a brilliant vote. The Harris Poll is absolutely awful.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Kirk Herbstreit said tonight that the Harris Poll is an embarrassment... right on the mark.

Ummm, who's Larry Keech?

6. printdust

printdust New Member

Wojo's column on espn.com is a lame piece of shit. I think he was one of those that bitched about OU getting the nod over USC three years ago after, ahem, losing its last game. And he asks, when did winning a conference championship become a prerequesite? I'm looking for proof to that, but my computer is running verrrrrrrrrrry slow.....

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

It isn't actually a requisite to play in the title game. I checked it myself.

But then you always have to treat the rules with flexibility when it comes to making a case for your argument.

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

It's not a prerequesite.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/definition

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Make it a rule and apply it to all teams.
    Then we can watch Jimmy Olson's head spin around, then explode.

10. printdust

printdust New Member

It's not a prerequisite, just common sense. But if you argue for it one year then come back and argue for it the next time, admit that you've changed your mind on the argument rather than the freaking team.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

For what it's worth, Ohio State is favored by 7.5 points. Any thoughts?

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

And there is the problem with the BCS system. It's too easy to manipulate the rankings to get the matchup you want. Ya, I'm a Michigan fan. Would it have been nice to see a rematch? You bet. Am I honked that it didn't happen? Naa.

That said, it's clear there's one really good team in this country. Who is No. 2? Who really knows?

Any time you have doubts like that, play it off. If this were basketball, they might see each other again. Heck, the way the NCAA tournament goes...

I know, I know. That's basketball and not football. But it's past time. Put the eight, 16, whatever best teams on the field and count it down. You can't tell me the ratings wouldn't be there.

That said, good luck to Florida and Ohio State. Michigan and USC is not a bad consolation-prize game to watch.

Draft saved Draft deleted