1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coaches poll out; Florida No. 2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-Backs Hack, Dec 3, 2006.

1. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

that's right! it's better to lose in the "first round" so you can make your way into the finals later!

2. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

GB-Hack wrote:
    "I would say though, if the Ohio State-Michigan, USC-UCLA and Florida-Arkansas games all happen yesterday, Florida is still No.2."

Exactly. With Michigan at 2, USC at 3 (or vice versa) and Florida at 4, No. 4 moves up when No. 2 and No. 3 lose. Consider the final game for each team played on the same day, and it's as simple as that. And that's what we have.

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

If that's the case, Boise State should be playing Ohio State, because everyone else, including Florida, has lost at least one of their early round games.

How anyone can argue in favor of the BCS over a playoff is absolutely beyond me.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I can't disagree with that, which is why the system sucks.

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Hey Jake, are we related?

6. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

What some of you guys are missing is that the system is a combination of conflicting systems. The BCS gives you credit for winning, and Florida has one more win than Michigan. Yes, the what-day-they-lost dynamic is significant, but the we-won-one-more-game argument is stronger in the microchips of the BCS computers and standings.

7. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Good post, Charlie Brown.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Actually, Charlie Brown, I hear the computers had Michigan and Florida far enough apart before yesterday that one win would not close the gap.

Guess we'll find out in a couple of hours.

9. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

That's not what Brad Edwards and Jerry Palm said yesterday. They said it would either be a virtual tie in the computers or Florida would move slightly ahead.

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

There needs to be a playoff, or a plus-one, or something. Florida and Michigan are two teams with resumes so identical that it BEGS for an extra game. Florida had the tougher conference road, Michigan had the better loss.

Florida will get the nod for the simple fact that nobody with any semblance of power over the rankings wants a rematch. Does that mean the Gators earned it? Not especially. I always thought the SEC title game would keep the conference out of the national title picture for some time, given the strength of the conference. I find it ironic that the title game will probably be the biggest factor getting Florida to the national championship game.

We're arguing over two teams that we shouldn't be. Make a four-team playoff, eight-team playoff, whatever. I'd much rather argue the merits of No 4 vs. No. 5 or No. 8 vs No. 9. Because the simple fact is that BOTH of these teams deserve a shot to prove their mettle on the field.

11. aspiring

aspiring Member

Absolutely! THe only way to prove who deserves the shot is one game, winner-take-on-Troy Smith-in-Glendale.

I am starting to think this confrence championship thing is too much of a skewing factor for the human voters. The Big Ten has been done for 2 weeks, the SEC chapionship is still fresh in everyone's mind (it happened yesterday for Pete's sake!) Contrary to what was said earlier, I don't think the results would hav been the same if the OSU-UM game was this weekend, with the same results. I think UM showed that it ould mostly hang with the consesus No. 1, even with the late TD and 2-point conversion.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I asked this on another thread, but who was the fanboy who gave Florida a first-place vote in the HArris Poll?

Draft saved Draft deleted