1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coach nominates himself for coach of the year

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheHacker, Nov 2, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Well of course he only nominated one player from his own team. All his players suck! That's why he's such a great coach.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Obviously trying to get a better job and figured "Coach of the Year" would look good on the resume.

So how do you deal with this one? You name an all-star team and coach of the year,fair and square. Two days later the "coach of the year" is arrested for having lewd conduct with a minor. Is he still coach of the year?

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Had a coach vote for himself for coach of the year _ after his softball team went 5-27.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I have found out this person is no longer the SE... however, the events did exist...

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The one year I covered preps, I had a coach vote for himself for Coach of the year.

To be fair, he was the obvious choice, it just struck me as being pretty funny.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

well obviously they would have lost 5 more games without the coach

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd like to take this opportunity to nominate myself as Poster of the Year.

I have taken some trainwreck threads and turned them into simple derailments with few casualties.

I also need something positive to pop out on the ol' resume for the Plain-Dealer.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Our paper (i.e. me) picks an All-Area team, for which we solicit nominations, but not a Player of the Year. I usually have a pretty good idea who a lot of the players on the first team are going to be, but nominations help with stats and identifying guys, such as linemen, who might have escaped notice. We also select a Coach of the Year, but that is completely our choice. The coaches in our area seem to appreciate that it's based on merit and not who's the best lobbyist.

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

I wouldn't have a problem if a coach mentioned himself with a couple of other coaches. I also wouldn't have a problem if the coach turned things around and he said something like, "This might not be modest, but I really feel to achieve what we did and went thru a tough time, I might deserve some consideration. Other years we had talent but this year we really got it together... the kids worked really hard and I really feel like I accomplished something."

However, the examples presented seem to be a case of people being egotistical jerks.

10. SamMalone16

SamMalone16 New Member

I heard this happened once in a small-school college football conference. All of the coaches thought they should be coach of the year, so since they couldn't vote for themselves, they all voted for the coach whos team finished last in the conference, making this guy coach of the year. However, the commissioner of the conference didn't let it stand, so there was no coach of the year.

11. Hustle

Hustle Guest

One of our coaches has been wonderfully kind to me as a source. Obviously it's never anything earth-shattering since it's only high school stuff, but I'll usually go over first-team picks and coach of the year. Usually I have a pretty good idea about them, but I like having the backup. (And he's always straight with me -- brutally honest about his kids and how they stack up.)

One year he was a pretty obvious coach of the year, taking a pretty pedestrian group to district champions. So I asked him what he thought. And he said him. So I was cool with that, especially since it wasn't a very hard pick.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

And there are other stories about this SE that are just as eye-raising.

Draft saved Draft deleted