1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coach Hoodie stealing signals?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Sep 10, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I think the most interesting aspect of the story was that this wasn't the first time the Pats were busted. I do wonder, should the league find that the Patriots are guilty, if the league will investigate how many other times Belichick and Co. stole signals.

2. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Point taken. The video part probably does cross the line.

But still, it does take some ingenuity and work to do this. Tape the other guys signals, go home and memorize exactly what they do after each one, then figure out how to pick em off as they're being given during the game and quickly use that info in instructions relayed to players. If you'd asked NFL people beforehand which coach would be most likely to have pulled this off and be doing it, I'm sure Belichik would've been the overwhelming choice.

And there's a real easy way to avoid the problem: simply change your signals every once in a while. Takes some extra work but it gets the job done. It's how baseball managers have been avoiding this problem for more than a century.

But it sure does beg one question: For how long have the Pats been doing this before they finally got caught? Wonder if this little trick helped them on their way to any of those recent Super Bowls under Belichek's belt.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If they broke league rules, I don't care how ingenious it is or how much work it took. It's cheating.

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Parcells just made a good point.
    If you want to stop it, all you have to do is make your QB wear a wristband with the plays on them.

5. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Wouldn't help much here, Chuck, they were defensive signals.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Well substitute QB for CB or LB and...

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I think what Parcells actually said was, have a bunch of players on the sideline giving signals, so that the other team couldn't be sure which one was signaling in the real calls.

8. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Yeah, everyone wears them now.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If he can steal another guy's wife, why not a few signs?

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

As if.
    Such as.

Zing!

11. patchs

patchs Active Member

Mangini can't be that smart if he didn't know the Pats pulled this stuff since he was an assistant for Belichick.
    I can't see the NFL doing much against its glamor team.

12. I think the NFL is pretty pissed off generally at how the Patriots play fast and loose -- and arrogantly -- with the rules everybody else has to follow -- from media accessibility, to the injury reports, to this latest thing. I wouldn't be surprised if Goodell stepped on them hard.

Draft saved Draft deleted