1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coach goes on after wife kills self, young son

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 9, 2008.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Doesn't help much, I don't think. That's talking about business ideas and methodologies.

Above, people are talking about HER being a Six Sigma. How can she be a methodology?

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That's what popped up.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Apparently, it's not Sigma 6. It's Sigma Xi...

Sigma Xi (19XIANS76) Fraternity and Sorority — Unity,leadership and Progress. — Study first before the organization.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I didn't want to read the story after reading the thread, but I did. I'm torn between tears (I often read the same three books to my daughter before bedtime), blinding anger and pity. If you hate your spouse, fine. If you think that life is not worth living -- get help. Or don't. But how could you do that to your child?

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Six Sigma

My brother-in-law has a belt level of Six Sigma, and he has offered to give me a little training. No, it is not a cult. It is a philosophy in running and organizing problems in a business setting. How you solve the problem is diving into the data. Research your problem and know everything about it before starting the problem solving process.

Baseball is a good example of a sports workplace where Six Sigma would work because of the volumes of data used in determining how to solve your problems.

I think General Electric started the Six Sigma process or it might have been Raytheon. I'm not sure.

Let me give you a quick example of a Six Sigma problem and solution.

Problem: An office building in Los Angeles has a $300,000 a month electric bill each month. How can it be lowered and keep employee moral.

Answer: Deliver Starbucks for free each day to the employees for free and save $200,000 per month.

How was this answer determined? The Six Sigma who was hired to solve the problem took weeks looking into the data. Looking at electric bills, walking a facility, looking at blue prints and talking with employees was all done before the problem was even thought about being addressed.

The electric bills showed the building was incurring a $200,000 fine each month for going over the power companies demand limit. So what is demand? Demand is the most electric your building uses at any one instant in a month. It's the amp draw or KWH flowing into your building. If you have a big building, it is what your electric bill is based.

So how do we lower demand? What do you shut off? Lights? AC? Heat? Computers? You cannot work without these.

What was noticed is that almost every employee had a coffee pot in their work place. A coffee pot uses 1000 KW when it is on. It is the same as 73 of the new light bulbs. You take the 300 coffee pots out of the building, the demand number dropped 300 KWH and the demand charge was eliminated.

The employees were happy because they got free Starbucks. The company was more than willing to spend $25,000 to save $200,000.

That is a Six Sigma problem solving process.

This woman was fucking nuts, but I'm guessing she had some pretty good book smarts. She probably sacrificed a lot of her career to move from Scottsdale to Thatcher. That's why I was very suprised a Six Sigma was out at Eastern Az. They work in big business and they do not work cheap.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I had a very difficult time reading that story. That poor guy ... I could never ever imagine losing a child, and my son is approaching 2 and it's just something I don't think I could ever deal with (damn, I wish I could hug him right now).

That sick, sick motherfucking bitch. I hope her next note to him is a postcard from hell, and she is whining how she is missing her son, who is hanging out with the members of the 1908 World Series champions beyond the Pearly Gates, where she is forbidden.

7. Johnsonville

Johnsonville Member

I read this yesterday and it still hits me.

The hardest part was the description of the goodbye note. When my kids give cards to anyone, I trace their hands and have them sign their names. My wife does that when the kids me a card.

I couldn't even imagine the pain getting something like that, yet that vision is in my head. What would happen if I did?

Kids make you feel such incredible joy and at the same time make your feel incredibly vulnerable.

8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Started watching it, got through one pic. Just too heartbreaking.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If I were Tim Parmeter, I would instruct my legal counsel to immediately contact Sigma Shit or whatever it is, and threaten them with the mother of all legal Hiroshimas, the immediate release of the "tribute" to every media outlet existing on the planet, if they do not immediately and unconditionally comply with our demand:

Along with the flowery "tribute," the full text of the most evil of the suicide notes must appear in full, along with the photo of the boy dying in the car, on the front page of your organization's website.

This is who you're paying tribute to.

Oh yes, and a nice five-figure donation to the memorial charities would be a good idea, too.

10. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

That is the saddest story I've read in a while ... couldn't get through it all. As the father of a 13-month-old son, this makes me appreciate him and my wife so much more.

That he sits in that chair and reads those books to himself ... my God, I do not know what I would do.

11. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Finally read the story... obviously heart-wrenching.

The part that really gets me about the suicide letter is when she says she hopes he wonders what Ryan could have been... that's absolutely brutal. That's the exact thing that would bombard me every minute of every day if I lost a child...

All the possibilities, gone, for no good reason...

12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

The detail in this story is amazing. How ANYONE can read it all without bawling is beyond me.

Draft saved Draft deleted