1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coach Chin rejects Browns

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

ESPN is speculating that it might not necessarily be McDaniels who Pioli would hire, but rather Kirk Ferentz, who was the offensive line coach for the Browns under Belichick and followed the franchise to Baltimore before heading to Iowa City.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

For the most part, Pittsburgh sports fans don't care about them, with the possible exception of the Flyers. I don't know any Steelers fans who would care any more about Cowher going to the Eagles than if he were to go to the Chiefs. I know I wouldn't.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Enough with the Ferentz love already. The guy is barely a decent college coach. Yet his name comes up so much, you'd think he was Pete Carrol or Nick Saban.

Fuck. That. Guy.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I think the best thing the Lions could do is brake open up the cheque book and give him carte blanche. Similar situation roster wise and the Fords have proven loyal enough to their employees to give him the time required to turn that team around. Plus it's the kind of news Lions fans need. That or if Parcells takes his buy out option from the Dolphins with Huizinga (sp?) selling.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

No, it's not.
    When you've created a legacy as Cowher did in Pittsburgh, with No. 1 seeds in 1994, 1995, 1997, 2001 and 2004, with Super Bowl appearances in 1995 and 2005 and a Super Bowl title in 2005 and then retired in good graces of the town where you grew up, you do not fool with that by coaching your team's longest-standing rival.
    If Cowher coaches again, it won't be in Cleveland, Cincinnati or Baltimore playing the Steelers twice a year. I think he'd prefer to be in the opposite conference. And if you think the Steelers mean nothing at all to Cowher, you should examine his comments on the whole Terrible Towel incident with Tennessee last week.
    If Cowher strictly were in this for money, he'd have had a job coaching for $7 mil a year by now.

6. Mizzougrad96

There are some who think Cowher is waiting for Carolina to open, which right now won't be anytime soon.

I don't see him as a NY guy. I agree this isn't all about the money for him. If he doesn't take the Chiefs job, I can't imagine him going anywhere else this year.

7. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

The Johnson era in KC is all but officially over. He whined all week about wanting out, and there's not a big market for him.

8. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Rick Pitino, if you discount his short stay in Boston.

9. Mizzougrad96

I don't even blame Pitino, because he wasn't going to get that kind of money to go anywhere other than Louisville.

Cowher will get about $7 million a year whereever he goes. If he held out for Washington or Dallas he might get more, but right now they don't have openings, and he's earned the right to avoid those headaches.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Well that would be one less problem for him then.

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Exactly. Johnson is a joke, and KC fans have been sick of him for at least two years.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

That reach of a rumor should be put to bed for a long while. John Fox and Marty Hurney righted the ship. Even rolled the dice by trading back up to draft Jeff Otah to do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted