1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coach Chin rejects Browns

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That was a "fuck you" move by Parcells. Even though Cowher never got a huge payday in Pittsburgh, I'm guessing he's not bitter about his time there. If he goes to KC, nobody in Pittsburgh will hate him for it. If he went to Cleveland or maybe even Philly, that probably would not be the case.

2. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

Bo Schembechler.

And the Browns aren't the Steelers' most hated rival. It's not a rivalry when one team never wins.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is why I would not have minded if Cowher took the Cleveland job, though I'm sure many fans in Pittsburgh would feel differently. The Ravens are the Steelers' top rivals now.

Mizzou, I don't know any Steelers fans who care one way or another about the Eagles. There really is no rivalry there.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Except Bo was never the head guy at Ohio State and Michigan hired him away from Miami of Ohio.

5. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

Good point. But he was still an OSU guy. And in that case, there was actually a rivalry.

Not sure why McDaniels is in this discussion. If Crennel, Weiss, Mangini, et al haven't proved that Belichick assistants have little if any say about what goes on the field on Sundays, it's never going to be proved. McDaniels is a puppet, nothing more.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The whole Cleveland-Pittsburgh angle is overrated.

Cowher was a very integral part of the mid-80s Browns teams as a special teams and secondary coach. He also played in Cleveland. If the situation was right he'd go to the Browns, but since it's a clusterfuck, I don't blame him for staying far away.

7. Mizzougrad96

No rivalry, but Pittsburgh fans don't exactly like any of the Philly pro teams.

8. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Pioli would be a nice addition (and today the Patriots gave him permission to talk to the Browns), but I'm not sold on McDaniels as a head coach yet.

I don't think a 32-year old head coach is ever a good idea.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And if there were any doubts, Cowher's Titans/Terrible Towel rant last week should have clinched it.

10. Mizzougrad96

Hell, of all of the Belichick Disciples that have gotten HC jobs, Mangini did a better job than the others. I also agree that hiring a 32-year-old isn't usually the smartest thing to do, but I will be very surprised if McDaniels doesn't wind up somewhere as a HC this off-season.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

KC is a better fit for him, with no real established stars with a future on the team outside of Johnson at RB and Bowe at WR, Cowher can bring in his own guys with little house cleaning. It's a clean slate there. Cleveland has far too many headaches on the roster.

12. Mizzougrad96

He would be a great fit in KC. The other openings/possible openings, I just don't see it...

Draft saved Draft deleted