1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coach Chin rejects Browns

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Dec 29, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2008/12/cowher_tells_browns_hes_not_in.html

This gets the Browns closer to my prediction of Pioli/McDaniels as a GM/head coach combo.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This makes me wonder if he really doesn't want to return at all, though perhaps the Kansas City job is more appealing. In both cases, the GM is gone. I doubt he takes a job with an established GM. He's going to want a big say in personnel decisions, if not total control.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

No, Cowher will be back. He said awhile ago on Mike and the Mad Dog (or maybe just Francesa on the FAN or whatever it's called now) that he had no interest in the Cleveland job. IIRC, it was because of the Pittsburgh/Cleveland thing more than anything else.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I'd be happy with Cowher or Pioli in KC. Browns can have the other :D

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

My question is why would Pioli leave New England? He works for the best owner in the league and the best coach in the league. His job security is near absolute because his coach trusts him. And when Belichick finally decides to retire, Pioli will get to run the franchise. I suppose he could get an amazing financial deal somewhere else, but I honestly can't imagine a better situation than the one he has in New England.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I get the sense that Pioli and Daniels are a package deal. That's certainly not a bad thing.

If Cowher stays out of coaching another year, it's going to make me think he has one job that he specifically wants that he thinks may come open next year.

I wonder if the Jets will throw a ton of cash to try to get into the Cowher sweepstakes.

7. Mizzougrad96

He doesn't final say on moves, at least not officially. He almost might want to prove he's as good as people think he is, rather than just give all the credit to Belichick.

That, and the Pats aren't exactly known for paying top dollar. I'm guessing he could get $5 mil a year to prove himself in Cleveland.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

There was no way he ever was going to mess with his Pittsburgh legacy by taking the Browns job. It was obvious to anyone who had a clue.

9. Mizzougrad96

Agreed. He's still well-liked enough in that area that he'll have earning potential in Pittsburgh for the rest of his life. He's not exactly Ditka in Chicago, but he won them a Super Bowl and that's not going to be forgotten anytime soon.

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Smart man.

Then again, can you think of any coach whose next job was with his former team's (traditionally) most-hated rival? Cleveland just seemed like an odd move for Cowher to take.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Parcells going from New England to the Jets comes to mind. The hate probably wasn't as bad as Steelers/Browns, tho.

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted