1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNN's Roland Martin takes on Rick Reilly

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ace, Mar 12, 2010.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Reilly's column bothered me -- not for the usual reasons needing a postage stamp. But he all but advocated violence against the coach. Over the top.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

How exactly is that ironic?

Because he prefaces it with an irrelevant-to-everyone-else boast that he's now written over (should be "more than," Rick) a million published words, not counting his forthcoming 11th book?

There's self-importance, and then there's Rick Reilly.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I agree, Slap. On the one hand, it was hyperbole. A literary device that rational people recognize for what it is. But as we learned from Columbine in its connection with the Stephen King story "Rage" people sometimes act out what they read. If someone actually does what Reilly suggested, I wouldn't be 100 percent against Reilly being named an accomplice.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I think what Yates does is ridiculous but it's not like it's evil or anything. And they have every right to do it. No one's being physically punished either. It's not like a football team still blitzing and crushing the QB when it's 70-0. The one coach mentioned how his kids were sort of depressed after it. Okay. But for 99 percent of athletes at any level, the losses that really hurt - the ones you remember 10 years later, the ones that might depress you - are the heartbreaking, last-second ones.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

That son of a bitch Van Owen thinks Reilly's column is bullshit.

6. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

"And there are times when I have responded to what other folks in the media will say and write."

He should probably focus on basic sentence construction, then move on to calling out other columnists.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

In 2020, will he still keep up the fight?

And what would Reilly do to Roland if he found him in Mombassa in a barroom drinking gin?

The Martin column is knee-deep in the gore of butchered grammar, inattentive punctuation and faulty logic.

8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

This is probably not relevant to the conversation, but I have no idea how Roland Martin got to be a first-team political analyst for CNN or why they think he's worthy. He offers very little of interest, even on the level of cable analysts.

Oh, and Patty Hearst heard the burst........

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Just because he didn't do a particularly good job of calling out Reilly doesn't mean that Reilly doesn't suck.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Martin better be careful or he's gonna find himself unemployed, sitting in Mombassa in a barroom drinking gin.

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Love Reilly or hate him, how stupid is the "well, you don't know what it's like to lace 'em up" blast? Especially talking about high school sports?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What was especially funny was that it was the old "you don't know what it's like to lace 'em up and get your ass kicked day in and day out."

Draft saved Draft deleted