1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNN to replay 9/11 coverage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Leo Mazzone, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Whether you are a bad person or not has nothing to do with me, nor do I care. If you have not read the 9/11 commission report, it's hard to say with certainty that you believe, "As if there's been no investigation of it already?"

Unless you believe everything your government tells you, and that I can respect as it is your decision. Please respect my decision to ask tough questions and probe. I may eventually find that the 9/11 Commission Report is right on the money. To date, I have found this not to be the case and there are many more questions than answers.

Your statement, "If there were a 9/11 conspiracy, it would be out by now" Is simply not the case. The nature of a conspiracy is to stay within the shadows. JFK has nothing to do with this and I wasn't even born when he died. This is your attempt to divert and connotate me as a Kook, again. Where did the CIA come into this? Now your inventing shit...this did not come out of my mouth. CIA is a fairly decent organization. I certainly would agree with you that a plot to kill 3,000 people is some serious stuff...this we can agree on.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I stepped out of the shower precisely when the first tower was hit, the local morning news was on and they broke to coverage of the plane hitting. However, at the time they weren't quite sure of what just happened and this was at the same time they thought it might have just been some wayward pilot in a small plane who either got lost or ran out of fuel. Either way they said they'd keep us posted and switched back to their regular cast, and I had to catch a bus for to get to class on time. By the time I had gotten there the second tower had already been hit, same with the pentagon and their were rumours that another had been downed in Pennsylvania. College simply did not happen that day. We all just stayed in the classroom and watched as the events unfolded. I only pulled myself away from the TV twice that day, once to make a phone call home where my dad made me promise that I would not drop out and join the military, which I was ready to do at the time, and then on the bus ride home at about 6 p.m. I of course then watched it at my apartment until I fell asleep.

I think I will watch it again, at least the early stuff. For the same reasons I watch all of the war footage and documentaries from Normandy, or Pearl Harbour or any other major conflict or disaster on their anniversary. For me it's a way of remembering, not just those who died that day, but also the state of the world and the unity it created, although fleeting. For me I like to feel te full slate of emotions that the day provided, everything from anger, to anguish, to helplessness. I know it's not for everyone, and for those who just want a moment of silence, do that, don't tune in. Everyone remembers and mourns in their own way.

3. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Is the going to really be a true replay of CNN's coverage of that day, or it going to just be bits and pieces interspersed with Lynn Hoffman interviews?

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm sure that one went straight over nearly everyone's head, but I got it. Funny stuff.

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I'm confused, is it on CNN or on the net?

If it's on CNN I'll tape it (or DVD it, whatever). I don't know if I can watch it yet, but I'd like to have it.

I watched the 9/11 episode of Third Watch awhile back and couldn't really handle that.

6. cubs

cubs Member

I will watch it......i remember sitting in freshman english that day....teachers wouldnt tell anybody what was going on...just that there was something serious. I figured earthquake or something crazy until i got on the computer in my last class and saw pictures.....shocked but did not really grasp what had happened until later. I will be interested to watch.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

The philosophy of a Monday morning ME there.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Heaven help me, that was really funny. Good, albeit darkly comic, work.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Will this be the beginning of CNN-Classic?

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'll watch it if I can.

Frankly, the idea that it shouldn't be shown because it might upset somebody is just ridiculous. Under that logic we should never be shown replays of Pearl Harbor, Hiroshima, the Kennedy assassination, The Drive, Steve Bartman etc. etc. etc.

If you can't handle it, don't watch it. If you lost somebody that day and don't want to relive it, don't watch it. What happened that day was horrible. But it is a major day in American history. We can't bury it and we shouldn't ignore it.

I had CNN on as I was getting ready for work that day. I just stepped out of the shower as they were reporting a plane had hit one of the towers. They were speculating that it may have been a small private plane at that point because no one was really sure what happened. When they cut to a shot of the building my first reaction was, "That hole is way too big for a private plane."

Paula Zahn is talking over the shot and all of a sudden you see the second plane.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I heard someone make the joke, "If Bush tunes into CNN is his response going to be, 'Oh no! They are doing it again!' "?

You could see the twin towers from where I live. I was actually in my place with the radio on when they broke in with the news that a plane had hit the first tower. I ran up to my roof and watched the fire. There were a bunch of people from my building up there, including one guy who video-taped the whole thing. We saw the second plane gliding in from the south, coming in way too low, and watched it hit the second tower. We didn't yet know for sure that it was terrorism, and when it clicked that the second plane was heading for the building, we all had this this horrible feeling of helpleness for about 20 seconds. It was like it was happening in slow motion. When the buildings came down, the wind was blowing in our direction, and my neighborhood was blanketed with fine debris. You couldn't be outside for half a day. I still shudder to think about all the unhealthy things I breathed during the months following 9/11, although I know that is a minor consideration given all the grief of that day.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I think most people want to forget 9/11 and Katrina. They want to shut their ears to the unpleasantness.

We need to be reminded sometimes -- especially with the short attention span we have.

We need to be reminded about lost lives and Osama Bin Laden and My Pet Goat.

I think making it available on the web for free is a good, tasteful way to serve the public.

If you don't want to be reminded in that way, you don't have to go near it.

Draft saved Draft deleted