1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNN to replay 9/11 coverage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Leo Mazzone, Aug 25, 2006.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

Big explosion live, then as they replayed it, he says he can't see it coming in...which you can on the air.
    Also, CBS would have had a great shot of the 2nd plane hitting, but their director missed it. He cut away as the 2nd plane was coming into the top of the frame.
    If I'm in that chair and look at the tape later, I'm pretty pissed at myself.

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Interesting day. News coverage should be looked at, examined and critiqued.
    It's our business and it can help us in the future as we do our work.
    Nobody's dissing the memory of those who fell.
    Watching this over again is not about that.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm not saying CNN is wrong to do this, but can't what you suggest be accomplished without showing it to a mass audience that presumably includes a lot of people who might find it regrettably and morbidly voyeuristic?

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I really don't have a problem with them showing it. It's only on the Internet right and not on CNN?

Any way I probably won't watch it, but every Sept. 11, I get out my HBO DVD about that day. As a family, we watch it. My oldest daughter is now 8, and every year she asks new questions about that day. She thankfully didn't have to live that day the way most of us did, but I hope one day she understands that was one of the worst days in our nation's history and maybe one of the most pivotal.

5. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I taped the documentary that CBS aired several months later -- the one made by the guys who were originally doing a documentary on NYC firefighters. I watched it once, but I don't know that I will again anytime soon.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

F_B, I forgot another Gumbel moment from that day.
    Right after the Pentago was hit, CBS went to a shot from their Washington burea where you could see the Pentagon was on fire.
    Bryant goes all drama queen, repeating over and over before even saying what we're looking at, "Oh my goodness. Oh my goodness." Just tell us what happened already.

And for those of you who have the 9/11 book about journos who recall how they covered things that day, my favorite nugget in there involves Peter Jennings. He says that as the 2nd plane hit the tower, he raised his hands in the studio for all to be quiet, he wanted "my audience" to be able to absorb what had just happened. Amd he said he wanted to not talk over it too for the same reasons.

Which is all well and good as a dramatic TV moment story, but BS. He wasn't on the air at the time, Charlie Gibson and Diane Sawyer still were. Oops.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Agreed, though if people want to watch it, I suppose I can't fault it. Just not my personal choice.

8. I would agree....what I'd rather have is someone investigate it

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

As if there's been no investigation of it already?

Are you one of those folks saying the "Zionists" (as Mr. Ahmadinejad calls them) were behind 9/11? Do you believe the U.S. government intentionally killed 3,000 of its citizens to invade some half-assed country in south Asia?

10. You're using name-calling to divert attention from what I said...I can appreciate that. That's what journalism has become. Seek answers to a question...you're called a Zionist. Insist that information published in the 9/11 commission report doesn't scientifically add up...you are aiding terrorism and you're a terrorist. Some other good names: Conspiracy "theorist," Kook, Wack-O.

To answer your questions. Am I a Zionist, "No." Do I believe the U.S. government intentionally killed? "Yes."

Now do you want to ask some more questions of me, or do you want to ask your government to answer yours and mine? Do you want to call me some more names? How do you want to divert attention now?

Above, what I said was, a moment of silence and we move on. It would be better to have full investigation of what happened that day. To date, a better investigation of Clinton's blowjob than the largest domestic violence event of our time.

Let me ask you some questions? You mention that there has been an investigation of 9/11...have you read it, researched it, asked any questions?

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

There was no name calling. I asked you two legit questions -- one, because in Europe the conspiracy theorists have floated books out there on Israel being behind 9/11.

If there were a 9/11 conspiracy, it would have gotten out by now. This is no JFK deal. A plot to kill 3,000 people, even if the CIA were involved, is some serious stuff.

And, no, I have not read the 9/11 report. Does that make me a bad person?

12. busuncle

busuncle Member

I would be interested in watching this for the same reason I am fascinated by historic newspapers of Pearl Harbor, D-Day, 9-11, etc.

It's a contemporary news account of a monumental historic event.

Draft saved Draft deleted