1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNN to replay 9/11 coverage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Leo Mazzone, Aug 25, 2006.

1. patchs

patchs Active Member

I still regret not sticking a tape in the VCR that day. It was a horrible day, but historic. Some day my kids (ages 6 and 4) are going to ask what was it like that day, I would love to show them.
    BTW, CBS News has a book which includes a DVD with original coverage, but it's a compliation.
    I was watching it last week and when the second plane hits the WTC, a witness on the phone, says, "That was on purpose!"
    Chilling.

2. 85bears

85bears Member

Not to be callous, but history is history. I would hope that the relatives of the victims would understand that. Gettysburg, Normandy ... you can't expect to ignore events like this because of the magnitude of the tragedy. This is our business. It can be gut-wrenching at times, but that is often when our work is most valuable.

3. boots

boots New Member

It will be a money maker for sure. I won't buy it, but the idea is par for the course for tv.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's available for free.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't understand all the need for this "Anniversary coverage"

Have a moment of silence and leave it at that. Nobody wants to re-live this. It was five years ago, I think it's safe to say nobody's forgotten about it.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

That morning marked the end of Bryant Gumbel's news career. He could not have been worse.

7. markvid --
    I was a CNN viewer all day. What happened with Gumbel? Did he choke or what?

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

85bears, you're right. but imagine your mom, dad, son, daughter, best friend, whomever, was killed. i think victim's relatives have every right never want to re-live this particular event. but while some will hide under the covers that day, otoh, i'm sure some will watch every minute of it now that they can be slightly more detached. it depends on your personality.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

I'll watch for certain.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

At the time, I was working a third-shift job, and I went to bed at 7 a.m.

I woke up at 2 p.m. totally clueless to what happened, since no one thought to call me and say, "Our country's getting killed!" When I checked cnn.com, I thought I was in the middle of a movie, it was so surreal.

So, yes, I will watch it. I will watch it to remind me of what happened that day and remember the anger we still should carry today about 9/11.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

Big time. Tried to be glib, smug, arrogant (aka his usual self).
    Threw to an interview of someone at the Marriott at the WTC by saying "Hello, so-and-so, this is Bryant Gumbel. I'm at 57th and 5th (I think that's what he said). Where are you?
    Ok, who cares where YOU are, Bryant?
    Then when the 2nd plane hit, he basically told the caller who was on with them as it happened she was full of it because he couldn't see it.

12. I was OK with everything he did, as you related it, up until the last part. The woman said the plane hit and he said it didn't because he didn't see it? I suppose you could make a case that he wasn't going to pass along rumors -- there were a lot of them that day -- but was the plane hitting the tower on the screen while he was saying this?

Draft saved Draft deleted