1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNN plays it straight, hemorrhages viewers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lugnuts, Mar 31, 2010.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Agree that CNN, absent breaking news, is unwatchable. Don't know if it would improve the ratings, but I think it would be better if they quit following the 24/7 news cycle, ditched the Twitter/Politico/minutiae of the minute, dumped celebrity news and reported on news. They are killing themselves by providing both extremes of the left and right views and pissing off the large majority in the middle.
    I've always thought there is a huge blind spot when it came to all news orgs who jump on breaking news and devote resources to big projects - it's the deeper look at something from three to five days ago. Combine the depth of a feature with the news angle of it being in people's short-term memory.
    Something like Dan Wetzel's column on Colt McCoy during the Rose Bowl in January.
    CNN could also increase their international coverage. I've got to think there is some stuff going on the world that relates to what is happening in the US besides Iraq and Afghanistan. How are other countries recovering from the global recession?
    Hell - something like Haiti happens they could schedule a weekly show.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

You know, I've tuned in a few times this week to see international stories.... very good stuff.

Having the Moscow bureau chief detail the conflict between the Chechen rebels and the rest of Russia...

That just doesn't draw viewers. Unfortunately.

But I'm still seeing plenty of that.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Wise man says, fish rots from the head.

Speaking of which, what the hell has happened to Larry King's head?

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If CNN wants credibility, it will hire Tim Brando to break news.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Kind of what happened with MTV once being about music, no?

6. old_tony

I remember trying to watch Crossfire every evening back in the early and middle '90s. I can honestly say I haven't watched CNN in at least 10 years -- maybe more.

7. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Fox should just say, what the he'll, call its current station Fox Right and start a companion network and call it Fox Left. Just do it. See what happens. It's all for ratings anyway. Would dems buy it?

8. old_tony

Actually, now that I think about it, didn't CNN pretty much lose all of its credibility back around 2003 when it was revealed that they kowtowed to some dictator named Hussein and held back on stories to keep their bureau Baghdad?

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Amanpour is money on foreign news. And has an oddly intriguing voice

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

... aaaand, she's gone.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The only time I watch CNN is for breaking news.

On weekends, I spin by MSNBC and if it's a prison show, I know all is well in the world.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Would his segment include scores from around the rest of the SEC?

Draft saved Draft deleted