1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNN going the Olbermann-attitude route w/ Campbell Brown?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Oct 22, 2008.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Seems to me the "no bias" claim is going out the window at CNN. Campbell Brown lately has been trying to morph into a KO-with-legs but, for me at least, it hasn't worked. Despite her recent "special comment" blasting Palin.

But apparently, that show is going to continue down the biased path, judging from the last phrase in their help-wanted ad:

JOB OPENING: NEWS WRITERS/CNN "CAMPBELL BROWN: NO BIAS, NO BULL"/NY: Exp'd TV news writers only. Compelling & engaging copy, attitude, flair, passion, sass, & appropriate outrage. Samples/Res: albert.lewitinn@cnn.com EOE (10/25)

2. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

NBC dropped the ball not moving CB into Katie's seat while it was still warm. Oh well.

I think she's great. And she's married to a Canadian--though the wrong stripe.

YD&OHS, etc

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

never heard of her before tonight. watched it on the plane. intrigued enough to watch again even though i hadly ever watch tv.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It would be nice to see if Brown is able to make pointed comments in both directions. Call out Dems when they're wrong. Call out GOPers when they're wrong. It would be refreshing. I think Brown has a good ear for a bad soundbite, and won't let people get away with loaded language. Her comments on Palin's wardrope "scandal" were good, people are still missing that Palin is chosen on a Friday and they go shopping for her Fall collection over the next three days. It really doesn't say a lot about McCain's long-range planning skills. Slap-dash and fly-by-the-seat-of-ones pants isn't something I'm looking for in a President.

5. friend of the friendless

Mr Oregon,

Hard to imagine that Campbell might be a Republican. She married one.

YD&OHS, etc

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm well aware of who she's in bed with, which is why it surprised me so much to see her call out Tucker Bounds on the air.
    I was never a fan of hers before this summer, but she rightfully also called out Harry Reid's statement calling Palin "shrill" - men are never called out for being shrill.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Actually, the elder George Bush was characterized as just that when he ran against Reagan. He got some super voice coaching for his next, successful run. You could look it up.

8. friend of the friendless

Mr Oregon,

"Call out Tucker Bounds?" Actually, I think she asked him to answer a question rather than spin around and dance. She didn't criticize or cheap-shot him, just asked him a question, and asked and asked again, in vain pursuit of straight talk.

YD&OHS, etc

9. pantherprowl

pantherprowl Guest

I've seen her show at least 10 times and I don't think there is ANY bias in either direction. She doesn't even lean either way. Maybe she does elsewhere, but not on that show. Her correspondents deliver nice, hard-hitting, no-bias, no-bull reports on what the campaigns are saying and she knocks down people out of line on either side. It's actually pretty refreshing.

I'm a liberal, but to compare her to Keith Olbermann, who I think is an a**hole (only not nearly as bad as Hannity, O'Reilly, Limbaugh, Dobbs, Beck, Savage, Dobson, etc.), isn't really fair. She may have a similar attitude on the air, but she shows outrage over everything from every side.

Only on CNN, the only reasonable cable news network left ...

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Watch the BBC, whenever you can . ..

11. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Would a TV show hosted by a male be asking for writers with "sass"?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I have no shortage of outrage. I'm applying.

Plus I have sass (I'll downplay the bull).

Draft saved Draft deleted