1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNN coverage of Mount Hood search-and-rescue attempt

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Technology is simply amazing. Who would have thought you'd be able to watch rescue climbers working on the summit of Mount Hood on TV?

If these three guys survived, it'll be one hell of a story.

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

HOOD RIVER, Ore. - Teams looking for three missing climbers on Mount Hood found a body after searching a second snow cave Sunday, an official said.

The dead climber had not yet been identified, said Pete Hughes, a spokesman for the Hood River County Sheriff's Office. The body was believed to be one of the three missing climbers, authorities said.

The body was found in a snow cave — but not the one that was first searched earlier Sunday, he said.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Turns out the body is of the man who called his family last week.

A really, really sad story. RIP

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm guessing after all the action on the mountain yesterday, it's now a recovery operation. With all the searchers and helicopters, if the other two were still alive they'd have been spotted.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

After the wall-to-wall James Kim coverage, I was wondering if they would've covered the story the same if it was Joe Schmoe, not a CNET exec.

Sadly, we found out the answer all too quickly.

6. I'm starting to get unnerved by the way CNN can turn any potential tragedy into a miniseries. I know the horse is long gone from the barn, but I'm still uneasy about it.

7. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

It's how they justify their existence.

Like you, I'm uneasy about it.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

That horse left the barn when teevee covered OJ's flight down the freeway.

9. Actually, it really started with JFK's funeral and then the moon shots, but there wasn't cable then, when it got worse.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Us young whippersnappers weren't around then, F_B.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Is a CNET senior editor that big of a deal?

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I just want to know who thought it would be a good idea to climb Mount Hood in the middle of December with a massive wind storm coming.
    I am not by any means saying they deserved to die, but people have got to be smarter.

Draft saved Draft deleted