1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNN.com Baseball's Most intimidating pitchers of all-time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 8, 2007.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Amen to that. I wasn't born when he pitched, but watching the old tapes of him hurl make me appreciate how downright scary he was.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

To be intimidating, you've got to be willing to throw at the batter.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's a good list. Gibson was the most intimidating I've ever seen, plus he always looked like he wanted to rip your head off. I don't consider Mariano intimidating in the knock-'em-down sense, though.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

No Rivera

No Eckersley

No Lee Smith

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You could begin to argue Smith. He looked mean and threw hard. But the other two weren't intimidating in the knock-'em-down sense like the others on the list.

6. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I wouldn't consider closers intimidating unless you are talking about pre-injury Gagne or even Wagner.

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

No votes for Jack Morris?

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

Gagne was just certifiably nuts.......Wagner wasn't nuts, and didn't even look nuts, although he wouldn't mind throwing at your skull at 101.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Sheesh. Kill a guy with a fastball, and Carl Mays can't even get a mention??

[​IMG]

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

No Ryne Duren? You step in against 100+ mph from a guy wearing Coke bottle glasses.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Clemens is about the only active guy who DEMANDS that the inside corner of the plate belongs to him, and will do things to ensure that.

The brushback, the knockdown ... they're the forgotten art.

And here's a vote for Steve "106 MPH And No Idea of the Strike Zone" Dalkowski.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That's who ran through my mind as an omission from this list.

Draft saved Draft deleted