1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNHI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tom Petty, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i read a ton of slams directed at CHNI on this board, but it seems as though all of them are in passing.

i really don't know jack about the company, but what's up with all the hatred? is it really JRCish-like? are they really going to go BK as some suggest?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

JRC's hillbilly cousin

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

They own a paper in my neck of the woods -- hillbilly about sums it up.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

again ... i read a lot in passing.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

They are lying, assholic bastards who symbolize everything evil and unholy on this planet.

They lied, cheated and stole their way into acquiring a bunch of backward papers, then proceeded to make said papers even worse. They enact draconian, across-the-board rules, then rely on their moronic, unqualified editors to enforce them.

They've figuratively raped and ass-fucked the communities where they've set up shop. They've inspired genuine hatred among many in the communities they've fouled with their shit they claim to be journalism.

I'd be surprised if the chain could point to more than a handful of papers that have treaded water or improved since they were acquired. The financial arrangement is based on smoke and mirrors and should be collapsing into ruin in the near future.

6. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

CNHI is, as you may know, run by the state teachers' pension fund of Alabama, so their only interest is getting a return on their investment. Thus, the company cuts costs like crazy and strips operations down to the bare bones. They don't give a rat's ass about quality journalism --not at all.

And to top it off, they put half-page ads for Alabama's Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail (which is the brainchild of ... surprise! -- the pension fund's director) in their newspapers in Massachusetts, thus further shrinking an already narrowing newshole.

Employees do, however, get the privilege of joining the health plan, Blue Cross/Blue Shield ... of Alabama. Suffice it to say, those last two words make a difference.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

A paper I used to work for is now CNHI. It is a shadow of what it used to be, and not because of the reporters or editors.

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

Boomer: We are forced to run those god-awful RTJ ads here in Ohio, too.

I hate this company... I really do.

(Did I mention we have never been compensated more than 20 cents a mile?)

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Oh sure... if you want the long version...

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Two neighboring papers to me, each with roughly the same circulation. One has SIX on its sports staff, the other ONE (the SE solo.) Guess which one is the CNHI paper.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

How big are these papers? If the one has six on its staff, I'd guess 25K to 30K?

That's insane to have just one person for a 30K, but then that is CNHI, I guess.

12. Bolo

Bolo New Member

First job out of college was with a CNHI weekly. The money was actually decent, but the job was terrible, the staff, from top to bottom, proved to be largely incompetent and I got out of there as fast as I could.

Draft saved Draft deleted