1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNHI third-quarter F days. When will we be get word the deed is already done?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Colton, May 9, 2010.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

I'm guessing the greedy bastards will cry poor again by June 1.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Every time one of you fools starts one of these threads ... it happens. Stop fucking karma in the ass.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

It's got nothing to do with karma, bubbs.
    It's got to do with people like Colton needing to bitch about the "greedy bastards" even when there might not be anything to bitch about.
    People like colton aren't happy unless they're miserable.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Furloughs suck, but they also usually mean you'll keep your job another three months.

I know it sounds absurd, but these days that counts for something.

5. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

It's been difficult not to feel miserable at a CNHI shop. Morale is still at an all-time low. People aren't bitching anymore; they're just numb and don't seem to care a whole lot. They do their job and go home. Not much concern about quality. Very little passion. At least when people were bitching they seemed to give a shit.

21 furlough days in five quarters (that's what it will be at the end of June) will do that to you.

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

I should do what Spnited suggests and STFU.

Thanks for setting me straight, Oldtimer.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Gannett did 21 furlough days in three quarters last year and two rounds of layoffs.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Colton, no one is saying you don't have the right to be pissed, but seriously, what good does a thread like this do? They all begin and end the same way.

-- Are there going to be furloughs? Cue bitching and moaning. XXXX company is evil.
    -- Seventy-five percent of the time? Yes there are going to be furloughs.
    -- Cue more bitching and moaning to point of a dead horse beating. XXXX company is still evil. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Oh ... and in the end? All of the bitching in the world doesn't change a damn thing. Depressing as hell? Yes. But message board bravado doesn't mean jack shit in the real world.

No one has to be told that furloughs suck. No one has to be reminded that many of the companies currently stewarding our product have some major issues, CNHI among them, but by no means the only company in the gang. See Gannett, McClatchy, Tribune, MediaGeneral, et fucking al. The grass isn't greener anywhere else, it's all pretty fucking brown right now.

It's why I take a dim view at those who bitch and moan about XXX company without having worked for or considered the experiences of those who worked at several. Like Mizzou said, Gannett has had an equal amount of furlough days over less time than CNHI has.

It just seems to be that there's no purpose served in hemming and hawing over something that hasn't even happened yet. Why get everyone worked up? It's not like anyone at CNHI needs a reminder that they might have furloughs again.

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

Amen, Bubs. You guys nailed it. Thanks.

10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Or Maybe Colton was just looking to get some feedback from other CNHIers around the country on this issue? I haven't heard anything at my place, though we're all expecting them. We were trying to remember when they were announced for Q2 and get the timing down for the Q3 announcement. The Q2 was announced on March 1, so figure either this Monday or the first Monday in June for the bad news. Sheesh.

IF it happens you start to wonder if the company's better served looking for a long term solution, for better or worse at this point.

11. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

A few of the CNHI brass were at my paper this week and I thought for sure something was gonna go down. Nothing (thankfully) did and we heard we may be moving up on the list of papers that will soon get new computers.

That's got to be a good sign we may not have them again, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted