1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNHI having another round of furloughs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SouthernStyle, May 11, 2009.

1. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

Just found out that CNHI will have a second round of furloughs in the third quarter. Another five-day vacation, minus that week's salary. :mad:

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You know, this board is about letting everybody know what's going on in the industry, so it's really distressing when it reaches the point where some of this almost doesn't amount as news anymore.

That's not remotely a shot at you, SouthernStyle, particularly if you're involved. But they just keep coming and coming.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Last week, CNHI in Effingham, Ill., shut down the press and moved from evening to day shift. The entire pressroom was laid off, obviously, and they cut a few editorial staffers as well.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Where are they printing now?

5. doggieseatdoggies

doggieseatdoggies New Member

I understand the economics of the issue. What doesn't make sense about this if a company gave a rat's ass about its product is the other option - you can cut salaries without furloughs. I mean, you're cutting manpower and salary here whereas if you just cut salary by say X percent per worker, you'd still have bodies in there to actually help put out a product that is supposed to attract readers, not piss them off even more. Instead, they're cutting manpower and salary with the furloughs and staffs are left to either cut content production or put out a half-edited piece of toilet paper.

This doesn't make sense at all, and to me it indicates that the company truly doesn't know how to make a product worthwhile.

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

I'm guessing we'll get "the word" here today, then.

And to think, just last week my publisher told me what a strong April we had.

Strong, eh?

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

As an employee who is facing a week without pay in the third quarter I'll say this -- I'd rather this than take a 2 percent paycut (or whatever it would amount to) because at least I get the time off.

8. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Sounds as though these people are chronic liars and the masses ought to demand a conference with a regional chief of CEO to spell out some truth, good or bad.

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

I'm guessing we'll get "the word" here today, then.

And to think, just last week my publisher told me what a strong April we had.

The really sad part for those of us in my shop is that we are turning a profit here — 13 percent in April — but we are being victimized by the rob-Peter-to-pay-Paul philosophy.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

colton, let me know if you need anything.

11. Colton

Colton Active Member

KY: Thanks, buddy. Nothing around here surprises me anymore.

12. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

So how's the second quarter going for everybody? Are you covering for each other? Is some work not getting done? Beats not getting covered? Are people learning new tasks (ie: copy editing)? Is your paper proving to corporate that it can survive without these man hours or is it showing that it suffers without them?

Draft saved Draft deleted