1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNHI Furloughs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kimronspringle, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you work, you're a sucker, since you won't get paid either way. I don't think CNHI would knowingly allow someone to work off the clock. If so, document everything.

2. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

I'm hourly, so whenever I do end up taking one, I have to fill out the form with the day, even if it isn't one of the days originally requested.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Paxton is right up (or rather down) there with them.

4. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

They're not supposed to do it that way. If you fill out the form and pick your days (and are not a manager, I should add), you have to take them on those days unless you reschedule. They can't tell you to take them "here or there." They're budgeting those days off that you pick, at least at our shop. They seem to be very concerned about making sure your furlough days are your furlough days because they could get in huge trouble if you're indeed working off the clock.

5. We were assured by corporate muckety-mucks that this would not be the case, because it would force employees out and thereby further dilute the product because of the loss of institutional knowledge. Unfortunately, I can't communicate the heavy disdain and sarcasm that would be in my voice in repeating this explanation of why CNHI won't continue furloughs forever.

I don't want to be all-Oliver Stone hating on capitalism evil conspiracy theory type, but I think this would actually make CNHI happy that older, higher paid employees would be forced to quit or retire rather than continue to be treated like resource that can be infinitely abused.

6. printdust

printdust New Member

Then there was the story where the staff wasn't told about it when SportsJournalists.com told about it because the publisher was on...you guessed it, a furlough.

So how is it that they tell mid-managers that they "may have to work on a furlough" if certain things happen (ie, employees call in sick, etc.) and that basically, your furlough as a manager may mean a work day without pay? How is that legal?

How is it right to say mid-managers can't take personal days but must make sure all hourlies do? But the upper management gets theirs?

Why doesn't this company just quit the BS about tough economic times and just do salary reduction? Well, considering it's a company that can offer a whopping 18K to cover a major college beat, that's why.

7. Colton

Colton Active Member

Print: This mid-manager knows the misery of which you speak... sadly.

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

It's not legal.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Because at least with furloughs, you're supposed to get the time off. A salary reduction is worse, as well as insulting.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Good call. I've never worked for CNHI, but I did work for Paxton.

I've told this Paxton story before, so I'll just tell the short version here: Basically a brand new G3 laptop sat unused collecting dust because the paper didn't want to spring for the monthly Internet bill, because it wouldn't be used every month.

11. printdust

printdust New Member

It's done.

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

We were told you can't call the office during furlough and they can't call you. Cant check e-mail can't have any contact with the company whatsoever. If you're being told something different they're lying AND breaking unemployment law. If you file for unemployment for your furlough and they "call you in" you could end up in trouble for falsely filing. They can't do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted