1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNHI 2011 furloughs?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slotman1, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

We're an LCNI daily that should/could/will get 2-percent "bonus" added to a first-quarter paycheck in 2011. I say "bonus" because we had five furlough days last year, so the bonus is little more than getting that back.

However, we're not on a hiring freeze and the newsroom is getting 10 new pagination computers in January (perhaps even before Christmas) with sports as the priority. Even talks of wage increase review for 2011.

We've had plenty of cutbacks, however. Did little D-I football coverage this year and have only done two D-I basketball games this year. Sports was combined with classifieds earlier this year or last year - really can't remember - so now we no longer have the full-color backpage to use for jumps/features. No more company-supplied Thanksgiving dinner or Christmas/New Year's party. No more covering NCAA basketball tournaments. And we stopped going on the road for college coverage a long time ago.

Glad I'm not CNHI.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It may be different in different places.

Here, say I filed Nov. 30.

I would then call Dec. 13 to claim benefits for those two weeks. Obviously, if you were only furloughed the week of Nov. 30, you'd only claim the one week.

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Here you don't get benefits for one week per calendar year. So in CNHI terms, you're getting benefits 3 weeks a year. :(

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Only good thing about the furloughs is at least you get the time off.

A bunch of companies have been slashing salaries, thereby, making people work more for less.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I think in Florida, for example, that's true, but it's cumulative. So if you're furloughed for a week and file, you wouldn't get paid for that week. But if you were then furloughed for another week, you could claim for that week, because the first week would count.

But it varies by state, of course.

6. jlw

jlw New Member

just got the word...furloughs for first quarter, but only 4 days instead of 5. I'm sure we're expected to jump for joy.

7. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

That's considerate of them.

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Me thinks the 4 days is helping them skirt the unemployment responsibility. You need a week to be compensated in most places.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Aw shit, after another stretch of working 15 straight days (some of them 10-12-14 hour days), a 4-day furlough actually doesn't sound like such a bad thing.

But I respect those whom it hurts and mean no disrespect.

10. They catching ya cats with these again? How many that be total now?

11. Suicide Squeezer

11 in 2009 + 20 in 2010 + 4 (at least already guaranteed) in 2011 = 35.

12. Suicide Squeezer

That is, if my reporter math serves me correctly.

2009 2Q = 5.
    2009 3Q = 5.
    2009 Christmas Eve Fuck You = 1.
    2010 1Q, 2Q, 3Q, 3Q = 20.
    2011 1Q = 4.

Brand fucking new CNHI headquarters in Montgomery, Ala. = 1.

Draft saved Draft deleted