1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

C'mon guys, you're better than that

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 26, 2008.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

[​IMG]

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Apparently, the people who entered "Jagwires" into the ESPN pronunciation guide are still employed.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think all the A-listers and honchos are on their way to DisneyWorld for ESPN Weekend. Anybody going? Is Clemens going to be there after all?

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

na na nuh.

5. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I know it's how the rest of the country pronounces it, but there's nothing I hate more than hearing ESPN's play-by-play guys refer to the University of Louisville as "Looeyville" or "Lewisville."

Neither one of them is anywhere fucking close. I don't even know how to write the correct pronunciation, but it's somewhere between "Lool-vull" and "Luh-vull." Two syllables.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

they don't have pronounciation police at espn. see: john clayton, negotiate. every time he says, "nego-see-ate" i hurl. it's "nego-she-ate," wally cox.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Actually, it can be pronounced so many ways that at Freedom Hall they have like five different pronunciations written in neon up on the wall.

Jagwires, however, is never acceptable in any way, shape or form.

8. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Bob Griese has been pronouncing "Wisconsin" like "West-consin" for his entire career. Makes me wonder how good "Eastconsin" would fare in the Big 10.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

God forbid if "Villanover" and "Orkinsawr" (Arkansas) ever play with Dickie V. on the call.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

That's ok, the abbreviation guide they have for clock and score has Virginia Commonwealth listed as VA COM
    Because, no one would know what VCU means.

11. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

That's a city-wide marketing ploy.

The correct pronunciation is "Luhl-vull"/"Lool-vull"/"Luh-vulle". Not "Louie-ville" or "Lewis-ville."

And I agree, Jagwires is horrendous. But most people also pronounce Bengals with a "bing" sound when it's actually a "bang."

12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

[​IMG]

Which one's Ickey Woods?

Draft saved Draft deleted