1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

C'mon, Greenie...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bill Templeton, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Gregor Mendel and I both say this thread can't end well.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

[​IMG]

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If you start talking about the joules needed to keep this thread going I may be too scared to come back to this board again.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

We aren't talking about anyone's joules on this thread...family or otherwise

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

First-time caller, long-time listener?

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Same debate was going on in the Hoosier State after Indiana beat Wisconsin at home last month. Fans stormed the court, which never happens at IU. One Indiana player said it actually was a little scary, being in the middle of all that.

I'll agree with Greenberg. You can have plenty of passion standing at your seat, screaming your ass off.

7. chester

chester Member

I also think there is a certain level a program can get - yes, you can call it arrogance if you want - where theoretically there shouldn't be a win that should result in storming the court. College hoops programs like North Carolina, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, Michigan State (of the last 10 years or so) and Indiana fall into that category. Yes, I know there are bigger wins than others, and not every team at these schools is automatically great. Still, as I said in a previous post, you're still that school, and every year, you're going to be considered one of the best. Those schools are known as elite basketball schools for a reason, so they shouldn't be acting like they've never won anything before. Again, you can call that arrogance if you'd like, and you wouldn't be wrong, but I also think there's some truth to that.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's another sign of the ME-SPN generation's apocalypse.
    Until TV geeks stop showing the shot of the fans rushing the court, they'll rush the court. If ESPN/Fox/CBS/ABC doesn't show it, the local news -- always jumping on the bandwagon -- will.
    Doesn't matter what the level; the players may act like they've been there before, but the students wont.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

The players act like they've been there before?
    Are you speaking solely of hoops?
    Or have you noticed that every single football team throws a tub of Gatorade on its coach after a big win? It's the jock equivalent of a court-rushing.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I heard a little bit of the discussion on Mike and Mike and was surprised that there was no mention of the stupid "OVERRATED!" chant. I've always thought that fans chanting that are diminishing the accomplishment of their team with that chant.

The chant is highly overrated.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

what part of "may" did you not read. I didn't say they do; just that they may.
    And you are right about the gatorade bath... Part of me-spn...
    Booyah

12. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

I'll give you a pass for bothering to listen to these guys ... only because Stern's Sirius show is on vacation this week. Normally, the idea is to have them on in the background, MUTED, looking at the topics discussed at the bottom. If news breaks, then perhaps you unmute.

Let me guess ... Monday they opened with NASCAR for two hours?

Draft saved Draft deleted