1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

C'mon, Greenie...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bill Templeton, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Bill Templeton

Bill Templeton New Member

After last night's big home win by Michigan State over Wisconsin, I tuned in this morning to the 'Mike and Mike (radio) Show,' keenly interested in hearing them discuss the game last night in East Lansing. It was, afterall, the first time since 1979 MSU has beaten a #1 ranked team.

However, Greenberg's point that rushing the court last night was not what MSU should have done because it is a so-called "big time" program?? In my opinion, rushing the court validates the passion the students, fans and players have for the Green & White.

First of all, beating top-ranked Wisconsin salves the wounds from multiple times in recent years where the Badgers have had the Spartans' number. Secondly, the MSU football team was a complete joke last year -- highlighted (or lowlighted) by the devastating loss at home against Notre Dame on national television. And third, the MSU basketball team wasn't expected to be very good this season after losing three players to the NBA.

Simply put, the emotion of college athletics shouldn't be suppressed by certain "reputations" of excellence, but rather displayed and expressed as the culmination of school pride, spirit and celebration.

C'mon Greenie... and Go Green!

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Wisconsin was a team simply masquerading for a week as No.1. So Sparty on.

(Fixed per slappy.)

3. chester

chester Member

I can understand where Greenberg is coming from. It's not like this was some terrible program with no talent on the team which just beat Wisconsin. After all, it was Michigan State's 20th win of the season, and didn't the Spartans almost beat Ohio State a couple of weeks ago in Columbus. Is it a great team or has it been a great season? No. But let's not paint the Spartans as one of the worst teams in the Big Ten either. I'm all for the passion of the fans, but I think there is a limit to that.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The correct phrase is "Sparty On...." burning furniture is optional, but encouraged as always....

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I'll hang up and listen.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Welcome Bill Templeton...yet another fanboy looser infests the board.

Go Green ::)

7. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Rushing the court used to be about passion. Now it's just a contrived method of getting to run onto the floor and cause all kinds of mayhem after the game.

If it weren't it wouldn't happen EVERY week at nearly EVERY school. It's so played out now it's ridiculous.

8. cortez

cortez Member

On the same show this morning, Greenie, being serious, said his wife cried when he told her Golic's kid was going to Norre Dame. I immediately turned that shit off

9. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Anyone who refers to that self-indulgent twerp as Greenie should stop posting immediately. Just my opinion.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Not to be a dick, but you never really should have ever turned it on in the first place. That show makes my skin crawl. Of course it's followed by Cowherd, the aural equivalent of prison rape.

11. This thread is genetically predisposed not to end well.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Look at Fenian going all biological on us.

Draft saved Draft deleted