1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CMA Awards

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 12, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Shania was hot, I think they equaled the total number of black people who have performed at the CMA's in history with Lil Wayne and Darius Rucker on stage.
    I remember I used to love these awards when they were on CBS and Kraft bought all of the ad time. Used to love it when they'd honor some legend sitting in the audience who didn't realize they were being honored. Used to add a touch of real emotion to the proceedings, now the show has all the heart and excitement of a corporate sales conference.
    Now there are just too many award shows, country and otherwise, the music is non-descript, and the bigger venue kills the intimacy. I do like the increase in cleavage though, just not on Vince Gill.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The Outlaw Country DJ on XM/Sirius yesterday referred to them as the Country Music Assassination awards.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That about covers it. Did they follow the usual formula of ...

• artist performs,
    • the category that artist is in is awarded,
    • artist who just performed wins said category ...

... or did they finally try something new?

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

On the down side, what a surprise to see Kid Rock go with the Titans jersey while singing his complete rip-off of a tune. What a frickin' no talent frontrunner.

On the plus side, I'd like to show Kelly my pickler.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Rucker just had a No. 1 hit on the country chart, following in the footsteps of others like Bon Jovi, Uncle Kracker and Michelle Branch (with the Wreckers).

Say what you want about country music, but at least those who program it aren't so hidebound that they won't give a chance to someone whose reputation and previous success have come in another genre.

6. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

My biggest disappointment today was we did not run any photos of Kellie Pickler's performance with our story on the CMAs.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The country music genre has been stretched a bunch - it's pretty much taken over the "pop" market. I just wish the songs that get airplay today weren't so "gimmicky." I give Big and Rich a lot of credit for pushing the boundaries of country, but at it's core a country song has to be about honesty and truth.

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

A good country song has to have something about mama, or trains, or trucks, or prison, or gettin' drunk. Duh.

Draft saved Draft deleted