1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clothes thread?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wicked, May 16, 2016.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Rhody, all the dry-fit material I've seen seems more polyester than anything. I've always thought cotton looks best (and yes, I don't put my stuff through the dryer, or only when I urgently need something to wear). What materials do you suggest?

Shut up. I enjoy being fat.

Riptide likes this.
  2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

On dress shirts, I took me 38 years to get to this place but I will only wear Charles Tyrwhitt shirts. Based in London. Every so often, they'll mark their shirts down to $29.50. I promise you, they're fantastic at that price. Before that, I wore Paul Fredrick shirts but I've found they wear out a little too quickly.

Also, if you wear dress pants or suits, paying for the services a tailor is one of the best investments in your overall work comfort you can ever make. If the tailor has a thick Eastern European accent, even better. Enhances the experience.

I'm a bit of a tie snob -- like The Tie Bar but prefer Ted Baker and Ike Behar.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Isn't it all made of thread?

wicked likes this.
  4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

When I'm not at work, undershirts are practically all I ever wear.

JackReacher likes this.
  5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I get my dress shirts specially made. I can pick out both the color and pattern out of huge books of fabric swatches, decide what touches I want (no pocket for me), collar (semi-spread), and get a perfect fit. (Surprisingly, there's some variation when they come back, which I don't love.

As far as casual clothes go, I recently discovered www.untuckit.com. It's been a revelation. They look and fit great. I order a medium slim fit and it fits me perfectly. You've just got to find the brand that fits right for you. I think I've ordered three shirts there in the last month.

6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I've found sports coats for $5 at a thrift store, and spent $20 each having the sleeves shortened a bit. They fit perfect. And just a couple of weeks ago, I bought a cashmere overcoat at another thrift place for $5. It fits great now.

Love the thrift shopping.

Vombatus likes this.
  7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Wife beater is a cute look.

[​IMG]

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Just discovered Tyrwhitt myself and got the three for 99 deal twice. Great shirts, got here fast (and then found out there's a store not far from my old office). I'm also a fan of Brooks Brothers dress shirts because, while expensive, they last forever and are true to size every single time.

My previous job was shirt and tie every day. Now I hardly ever wear a tie. But I agree with what some have said: for your "good" clothes, go all in. Casual? Whatever. I have some shirts from Target and Old Navy that hold up just fine and serve their purpose well. Suits by Brooks Brothers, Hawaiians by Kahala and Old Navy.

Socks by Happy Socks. Shoes by Fluevog, Cole Haan and Rockport. Jeans by Lucky or Levis.

Also, give this a whirl for socks and underwear: Home

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I don't get it. If there are "X" amount of regular-sized people, that means there should be "Y" amount of "Big & Tall" people and "Y" amount of "Little & Small" people.

So why are there eleventy million Big & Tall stores and no "Little and Small" stores? Us jockeys need clothes, too.

X-Hack likes this.
  10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

H&M

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Don't sleep on Eddie Bauer; they have great sales and their dress clothes last for ever, don't wrinkle, and are stain resistant.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Spoiled by a lot of the gear at the job. Footjoy and Bobby Jones make really nice golf shirts/sweaters/jackets/pullovers. My weekend garb could use a refresh, though ...

Draft saved Draft deleted