1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clips question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Newbie1234, May 6, 2008.

1. Newbie1234

Newbie1234 New Member

So I was just looking for some advice on what are some good clips to send out and what makes the complete package I guess.

I'm sure features are the best to send, but in regards to gamers what should you send? Do people want to see just well-written, well-described games or is it better to send in those featurey-type games where tell good anecdotes or what not. I guess what are most editors looking for?

And I assume the best features to pick are the well-reported, well-written, maybe even the heartfelt stories you're able to find...

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

2. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Hey bud,

1) Investigative/Enterprise features
    2) In-depth features
    3) Personality profile features
    4) Common features
    5) Deadline Gamers
    281) Columns

In short, if they ask for six clips: Send one/two good, long feature that shows off your reporting, one/two good feature that shows off your writing, one feature that shows off your interviewing skills and one/two gamers that show your ability to write on deadline. Emphasize that you have extra clips that can offer any of the above. But it's never bad to ask an editor what he/she prefers.

Good luck!

3. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I know this comes up around here a million times, and I don't want to steal Newbie's thunder, but how exactly do you recommend packaging an application? By that I mean, how should you present the resume, clips, cover letter, etc.

I think I have a decent grasp on it, but what do you recommend for a cover letter? I know there are a million templates out there, but it seems like an editor would pass right over some dull shit obviously pasted onto a template. I guess I haven't really figured out how to write a good cover letter. It's hard to draw the line between the dull template letter and the over the top "I'll work my ass off for you as I pursue my dream" letter.

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I can only recommend a few things:

For a cover letter, just show your personality. If your wildly over the top, do it. IF your less overt, do it.

If you send clips snail mail, just send clean, unwrinkled clips, etc.
    If you send an email, simply ask the editor what he'd prefer.

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Newbie, IllMil,

There's a sticky thread at the top of the Journalism Topics Only forum called "Job hunt questions for upcoming grads" that is a good resource for these kinds of questions.

Draft saved Draft deleted