1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

clips question (and probably a dumb one)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JNEWFIFTY, Dec 12, 2006.

1. JNEWFIFTY

JNEWFIFTY Member

When sending out clips for a perspective job, is it a big deal if I send them the internet printout or should it be the actual clip. Still a tad new at this, but I've had varying opinions. Thanks for the help.

2. boots

boots New Member

I say if your name is on it, use it as a clip! I think most (as they always do yuck, yuck) will agree with me.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I can't speak for editors since I'm not one, but I can't see why Web printouts aren't acceptible.

I would recommend, though, that you utilize the printer-friendly versions whenever possible. If you can swing it, you may want to go the Lexis-Nexis route.

Just a suggestion.

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

If your name is on it then it's a clip. I prefer to cut out my stories and tape them to white pieces of paper and make copies. That's just me. If you don't save your stories like my OCD self Internet clips should be fine

5. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

i'd go internet, becuase you can go back at any time and change the story to make it better ... not that I've ever done that

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

It's only cheating if you get caught

7. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

You can't really change it though if it's what printed in the paper. I like the idea of cutting them out and taping them to paper and making copies. That only works if you keep the papers though. If you forget, good luck.

8. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

I don't mind getting resumes with internet printouts, but I do prefer that they have some indication that it did come from a Web site, instead of looking like a prinout from Word or something. Does that make sense?

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

better a readable web version than a faded, pasted together newsprint photocopy that's tough to read

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

prospective

Draft saved Draft deleted