1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clinton vs. Fox News

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by D-Backs Hack, Sep 23, 2006.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Look, Clinton will be the first to tell you, neither side is in the right on the OBL issue.

They're both right. They're both wrong.

What I want to know is, where is Bush's support still coming from?

Fiscal conservatives? Please. He spends like BYH in an all 80's butt-rock CD shop.

The Pat Buchanan national-security wing? Not so much.

The war in Iraq? For it or against it at the start, no one can say with a straight face that it's been executed well at all.

Moderates? I can't think of a single reason why.

What it really boils down to is the hope-for-the-end-of-days crowd, and people who simply won't admit that they voted for the guy to teach the rest of the country not to get uppity and then didn't have the common sense to realize that they put a guy in way over his head.

I'll be more than happy to spend days listing the things Clinton did wrong, and I voted for him twice.

Why can't some of you on here just admit that the guy has lost his base?

2. JackS

JackS Member

First, I thank you for your civility. Refreshing.

As for the last point, people really thought his spiel on what "the meaning of the word is is" made him look good? Do you have a poll or something to back that up?

3. JackS:

The "meaning of is" in the long run became a buzzphrase for Clinton's honesty, or lack thereof, but in the immediate aftermath his entire testimony - when he defended himself as vigorously as the Chris Wallace interview and was on occasion deferential to the Starr investigators - reinforced the idea among most of the American people that while yeah, he almost certainly perjured himself, it didn't rise to the level of impeaching and removing him. The only polls I would refer you to are, well, pretty much every one taken in 1998 and early '99 that said the American people didn't want him removed.

The bottom line to me about all this ... in the Chris Wallace interview we saw a President who can talk for length and is almost always the smartest guy in the room. It was kind of nice to remember what that was like. Now can you believe everything he says in the Wallace interview? Trust but verify, as Reagan would say.

4. JackS

JackS Member

Oh, no doubt polls showed America didn't want him removed. But I don't think that was because they thought he came off well in the grand jury testimony. I think they didn't want him removed for other reasons, right on down to people who could relate to his transgressions and thought it was "cool" to have a president like that.

Regarding your bottom line, I'm not even sure what I want in a president these days. "Smart" didn't make me like Clinton or think he was much good, and still doesn't. Ditto "moral" (or supposedly so) and Bush.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You left out anybody involved in defense contracting.

Anybody making a boatload of money that saw their tax bill drop by tens of thousands and don't give a crap what's happening 6,000 miles away.

Anybody that just gets their rocks off seeing 'merica blow things up and watching the Statue of Liberty shaking her fist.

Anybody who missed out on the economic boom times of the 90s and is jealous of the people who made out like bandits (and the administration that gets the credit for it).

Anybody who believes that "innocent babies are murdered" while conducting embryonic stem-cell research.

Anybody in the military, whose support for this administration I can only equate to battered-wife syndrome.

I know people that fit all those descriptions. So Bush's support, while sad and pathetic, is not all that shocking to me.

6. So Iraq is a lot like America-fixed elections.

7. You're right, we "aren't doing nothing" Dafur and we SHOULD be.

I remember Bush saying that it was our job to free the Iraqi people from a tyrant. If he is concerned with helping people, why doesn't he do more to help other countries, like Dafur? Or people in America!?

And how was Iraq a direct threat to us??

8. The same guy who gave half-a-mil to Clinton's Global Initiative?

9. An asshole statement like that warrants no further responses to your posts.

Hope you somehow find a brain to go along with your brain stem.

10. Maybe because he hasn't?

Have you stopped beating your wife, Zeke? (As long was we're in the "stupid questions" segment of the program.)

11. One thing you gotta give the Dems: They never lose the ability to bullshit themselves.

12. I can only hope that I don't have to hear another word out of your ignorant ass.

Draft saved Draft deleted