1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clinton: Obama "perpetuating falsehoods"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by writing irish, Feb 23, 2008.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/23/clinton-slams-obama-tactics/

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080223/ap_on_el_pr/clinton

She's very pissed off...but, well, wasn't she a NAFTA supporter before she decided she wasn't?

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's not his fault she made that garish "garnishment" reference with regards to her gunpoint program.

She made her own bed, on this one.

And she's the admitted Rove admirer. Look in a mirror, HRC.

3. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

I guess she's not honored to be next to Obama any longer. The tune will change again tomorrow.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

This is a campaign without a message floundering.

And her NH choice mailer makes these look like the freaking Declaration of Independence.

5. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

This smacks of Hillary campaign deperation. The Clintons will do anything to win. Anything.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Just for comparison's sake, take a look at Hillary's New Hampshire mailer, sent to pro-choice women.

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/01/hillary_mailer_hits_obama_on_abortion.php

It criticizes Obama for voting present on an abortion bill that was defeated in the Illinois legislature. Of course, it doesn't mention that the head of Planned Parenthood in Illinois asked Obama and other senators to vote that way, and said so publicly. It doesn't mention that he has a 100 percent rating from Planned Parenthood and from other pro-choice groups, or that he was the only sitting U.S. Senator to fund raise for the group that put the South Dakota abortion ban up for referendum and ultimately got it defeated.

Here's another she dropped in NH that reads like it came from a Republican. It accuses Obama of wanting to raise taxes on "hard-working families". Of course, the actual proposal is to raise the cap on the payroll tax to fund social security. It would affect the richest five percent of Americans.

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/01/on_eve_of_primary_hillary_drops_negative_mailer_hitting_obama_on_taxes.php

So, I guess, if she wants to play dirty mailers, she can, but, to my knowledge, she supported NAFTA publicly and her health insurance plan does contain mandates for everyone and she did say in a debate that she would pursue garnishing people's wages to pay for it. So these mailers might not appeal to the people Hillary Clinton would like them to, but there isn't anything inherently dishonest about them.

And they're certainly more honest about Clinton's positions than the NH choice mailer was, or the Nevada health care mailer she sent out or even the Wisconsin social security mailer she sent out to seniors that said Obama was going to cut their benefits, something he has never said.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

One other thing. These mailers started going out shortly after Super Tuesday. If she wanted to debate their veracity, wouldn't a good time have been, oh, I don't know, at the debate?

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Obama had a nice news conference a little while ago responding to Hillary's claims. He was impressive. The last question asked of him was something to the effect of would the party and the press be treating him different than they are Hillary if he had just lost 11 in a row. His response was yes because he's the underdog challenger and Hillary's the champ with the Washington connections and that as a challenger he has to knock her out.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

Well, I don't get why she's going to make a fuss when she can be refuted point by point.
    Is she hoping that we'll take her word instead of looking at the facts?

10. OTOH, Newsday, which ought to know, is saying that his flyer has tailored their reporting in a less than straightforward way. Of course, he is not the inventor of all that is evil and Machiavellian in American politics. (Ben, she's an "admitted Rove admirer"? Really?)
    Jesus, will people finally realize that THIS IS HOW YOU RUN FOR PRESIDENT, and that Obama is not made of candy-glass? I wish this primary season was over so we could all grow up again.

11. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

This will go down as Clinton's defining moment of this campaign. It's fine to get angry and call out your opponent, but over a mailer that's several weeks old? Two days after praising him in a debate? She looks more unstable than strong.

12. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

The *only* reason I would like to see a McCain - Clinton election is to see which one blows a blood vessel first from pseudo rage.

Draft saved Draft deleted