1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clinton concedes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Jun 7, 2008.

1. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

I didn't do it. Tshirthell.com did it.
    I'm anti-both Obama and Hillary. I will vote for McCain while secretly hoping Bloomberg gets in as an indy candidate.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, then you're not part of the solution.

BigDog, it's this simple. I think most of us have been fortunate enough not to have someone we know get killed in Iraq. If you get your way, someone we know will come home in a box.

It's not worth it to me. Perhaps it is to you.

3. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

And to think I clicked unignore for that.

If you believe it's that simple, you're a fool.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yup, you're a rocket scientist. Your voting plans indicate that.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Sadly, some of us have already been through that.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Indeed. My condolences.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Mine as well, buck.

Daily Kos has been posting articles today attempting to explain why HRC lost. Of them, I think this one is the most insightful and has solid analysis not only of the HRC campaign staff's errors but also how her staffers failed to understand how election tactics have changed in 12 years and how changes in the Democratic electorate worked against her and her husband.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/6/8/194537/8886

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Oddly enought, SNL re-ran the season premiere with LaBron James which opened with a skit hammering the point of Hillary's inevitability. Funny how times can change. The best post-mortem on HRC's campaign gave the primary reason for her loss to a lack of hubris. She and her campaign had a hard time of admitting they were flawed, and whether or not they admit a screw up in public (like say, regretting her vote on Iraq), they never second-guessed themself in the campaign and seemed more eager at blaming outside forces for their failures than looking in a mirror. She was at 44 percent last fall, Obama at 23 percent. All she needed was 7 percent of the remaining 34 percent, and she couldn't get it done even with that much of a head start.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My observations...

If Hillary had started the way she finished, she would have been the nominee.

For someone who is supposed to be so polarizing, she got a hell of a lot of votes.

As someone who has never been a fan of Hillary at all, I was pretty impressed with how she did.

I have a feeling that if she's not on the ticket, she may have a lot of say in who is...

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Shifting gears once she was about to be engulfed by the BO tidal wave, HRC shook off Bill's 90's stances, went from experienced triangulator to populist, and gained added, impressive traction in the blue-collar strongholds.

After she got passed up, she abandoned that "lobbyists are people, too" crap, really, really fast.

Alas, she'd already blown the momentum by her monumental early smugness,
    and it was too late to make up the crucial ground already lost.

Once again, it IS "the economy, stupid" . . . but she found her best voice far, far too late.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wonder how different it would have been if Michigan and Florida had played by the rules.

It also hurt her that big blue-collar states like Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia came so late in the game.

One would have to think Hillary would have won big in Michigan even with Obama's name on the ballot. Would she have gotten more momentum from that? I don't know.

Florida always seems to be much more difficult to predict.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

FL sure looks like a stone GOP win, this time around, though the economy could still alter that equation.

Draft saved Draft deleted