1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Climate Change? Nahhh ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Oct 23, 2015.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I read a story the other day where it's supposed to be a La Nina winter, so warmer and dryer in the south.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yes. More snow for the higher mountains in the Rockies -- but no resorts are open yet. It feels like August, not October. I've never seen it like this here -- and I've been living/coming here for 45 years.

5. Driftwood

We are at that crazy time of year where I have the heat on in my truck when I drive to work and the a/c on for the ride home.

maumann likes this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Dang, the trees are throwing down what feels like a record amount of nuts this fall and changing from green to brown to dead without the typical fall show. The locals I've talked to say that typically forecasts cold and colder, earlier and longer. La Nina or Country Folk? Place your bets.

Driftwood likes this.
  7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

The Winter of Our Discontent? Thanks again, 2020!

maumann likes this.
  8. Driftwood

I've got three chestnut trees and a walnut tree that keep the ground covered.

maumann likes this.
  9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I didn't pay too much attention to Denver weather until my son moved there. Wasn't fall of 2019 unusually warm and dry too? Seemed like every day it was 70 or 80 well into November.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

As the world, specifically the area over the Pacific, grows warmer more of the ocean water evaporates. Some of the resulting clouds will reach the Rockies and drop additional snow or rain. At lower temperatures the warmer weather will lead mean the rain runs off. At higher elevations the additional moisture will just pile up as more snow.

The same phenomena is occurring in the Antarctic. Evaporation is increasing over the Indian Ocean. So additional moisture is dropping on the Antarctic. But much of the eastern Antarctic is on a high plateau. So it is still cold enough that the snow continues to pile up. When the world warms up enough to start melting down that plateau the beach fronts of the world will move dramatically.

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Yeah, there are two hickory trees that have those massive pods that sound like someone dropped an anvil on the roof or back deck. I'm certain one's going to crack the sliding glass door before the squirrels finally hibernate.

It's an artillery barrage of hickory nuts (and little acorns, too).

TigerVols and Driftwood like this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted