1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Climate Change? Nahhh ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Oct 23, 2015.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Opened the windows for the first time in 10 days. RAIN!!!!!!

[​IMG]

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Covid takes a seat at the table, complicating woodland firefighting.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

We take a pause from the California fires for a 4.5 earthquake last night at 11:38 p.m. PDT. Centered in the El Monte area of the San Gabriel Valley. I felt the jolt in Irvine in Orange County. I went to Facebook and friends were posting in Culver City, Santa Monica, Malibu and Simi Valley (85 miles north). No damage. We throw back 4.5s, but this one seemed pretty far-reaching.

4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Yeah, if I see Dr. Lucy in my feed when I sign on, something's shaking. Glad that wasn't worse.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I saw one thing from her: **50/50 5 percent chance this was a foreshock and a bigger one is on the way.

** edit

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    maumann likes this.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That's a hard sneeze. Hell, that doesn't even reach my email alerts of earthquakes around the world.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Denver hit 90 degrees today. It's the 74th day of 90 degrees or hotter, the most in one year, breaking the 2012 mark.

On average, it gets to 90 or hotter 31 times a year.

And I'm quite certain it's the first time it's hit 90 degrees after we've gotten our first official snow and/or freeze.

8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Our temps have been nuts. We were full blown balls to the wall high 80s since July and have been low 70s the last two days. It's not supposed to be out of the 70s with night time lows in the 40s all this week.
    Don't get me wrong, I welcome the break, but whatever happened to a gradual stepdown?

maumann likes this.
  9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Seems bad.

Arctic sea ice shrank to its second lowest level on record, researchers announced on Monday. Sorry.

It’s typical for Arctic sea ice to melt in summer and freeze back up in winter. But thanks to a wild-ass, record-breaking heat waves in the Earth’s northernmost regions, this year’s minimum ice extent is anything but normal.

The National Snow and Ice Data Center’s data shows that on Sept. 15, Arctic sea ice likely reached its annual minimum extent of 1.44 million square miles (3.74 million square kilometers), ranking behind only September 2012's minimum, when the lowest level on record was measured at 1.32 million square miles (3.41 million square kilometers). The minimum 969,000 square miles (2.51 million square kilometers) below the 1981 to 2010 average, which NSIDC helpfully notes is roughly equal to Alaska, Texas, and Montana combined. The 10 lowest sea ice extents have occurred in the past 13 years.

Ice declined especially quickly between Aug. 31 and Sept. 5, as warm air from the recent heat wave in Siberia—which would have been nearly impossible without the climate crisis—rose into the region. That six-day period marked the fastest rate of ice loss on record, according to NSIDC.​

Let’s turn those numbers into something normal people can understand:

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Rolling-coal-lexicon-entry-background.jpg

11. 2muchcoffeeman

12. 2muchcoffeeman

Draft saved Draft deleted