1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Climate Change? Nahhh ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Didn't feel it here, but a 5.1 mag earthquake near Sparta, N.C., sometime within the past hour or so. Shook up Boone and was felt as far as Chapel Hill and Spartanburg. The Appalachians are very old but still have active faultlines.

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

A lot of people in my area felt it, but I didn't, and I was outside at the time.
    People were calling 911 and everything.

maumann likes this.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Very shallow, too, so no surprise it was felt in a vast area.

maumann likes this.
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I just read a great observation:
    This week alone, North Carolina has been hit by a hurricane, tornado, and an earthquake in the middle of a pandemic.
    Nice.

maumann likes this.
  6. maumann

Lucy Jones, the earthquake expert, had a factoid saying 5.1 equals the largest magnitude quake in the interior Carolinas since 1916. I know the first time we went to Boone after moving to North Carolina, the clerk at the motel we stayed at mentioned it being right along an ancient faultline, the reason for the steep dropoff to the canyon below. Plus, it was an amazing place to watch bats at dusk swooping up and down catching unsuspected bugs.

Driftwood likes this.
  7. MileHigh

You would be wise to listen to everything Ms. Jones says. She's a cult hero in SoCal. When she speaks, people listen. Rightly.

Spartan Squad and maumann like this.
  8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

God hates Duke too.

more punchable: Grayson Allen or Stephen Miller?

Driftwood likes this.
  9. maumann

She's a prominent follow in my Twitter feed. That and the live streaming seismograph from Escondido. Which is also 15 minutes from Tahoe.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Stephen Miller, who leads by more than Secretariat did.

Mngwa and heyabbott like this.
  11. MileHigh

She's tremendous. She's been the face of earthquakes in SoCal dating to Whittier in 1987 and likely before that. She was out front with Ridgecrest. A refreshing, reassuring voice, a Fauci-type with no-nonsense facts and doesn't put up with anyone's bullshit. A very trusted voice.

maumann likes this.
  12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted