1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Climate Change? Nahhh ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Oct 23, 2015.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I expect Tulare Lake will also refill. Bank that piss now because it won't last.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Texas should take a lesson from Florida and ban climate change in the state so this kind of weather stops happening.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Air conditioning wasn't standard in homes and buildings anywhere until the 197os. And not because it was "cooler" then. Because central air wasn't invented until then. And the school year didn't start until after Labor Day.

Homes getting their first single room wall AC units were a common sitcom plot in the 1960s.

And there are lots of ways to make rooms cooler without spending "billions" to retrofit them with central AC that will be unused most of the year.

Last edited: May 25, 2024
    SixToe likes this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I graduated high school in 1986 in Arkansas. The school had been built in the 1960s. We didn’t have AC until my junior year.

Making it worse, the principal was an old school hardass who wouldn’t let boys wear shorts to class.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

My high school, still standing, in SoCal was built in the 1950s. We started the day after Labor Day and I graduated in mid-June 1987. Now, they start the first week of August and let out on the Friday before Memorial Day.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

ok

x.com

We just broke ground on America’s first next-gen nuclear facility | Bill Gates

Hello from Kemmerer, Wyoming! It’s been just over a year since my last visit, and I’m blown away by how much has changed.

One of the oldest buildings in downtown Kemmerer—once an opera house—has been restored and is now home to a mercantile and a bakery. Just down the street, the owners of the local coffee shop have purchased an 100-year-old building to expand their operation. A law office has opened, and city officials tell me that plans are moving forward for new multi- and single-family housing developments.

I’m thrilled to see so much economic growth happening, because Kemmerer will soon be home to the most advanced nuclear facility in the world. I just left the groundbreaking ceremony for the first-ever Natrium plant, which will bring safe, next-generation nuclear technology to life right here in Wyoming. It’s a huge milestone for the local economy, America’s energy independence, and the fight against climate change.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This is a rare point where I am with the traditionalists. How much are we paying to run A/C on full blast during the hottest month of the year? Makes zero sense to me.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

In Cali, unless you’re in Tahoe, SF or on the coast north of LA, It doesn’t matter if you start August or September. It’s hot well into October. You can expect maybe not 100s but certainly into the 90s. And if you’d start in September, you can count on at least one heat wave heading into June.

MileHigh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted