1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cliff Lee- Your AL Cy Young winner

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by prezclinton, Nov 13, 2008.

1. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Lee was the deserving runaway winner.

Halladay can pitch for me anytime.

If anyone was going to take a first-place vote from Lee, I would have expected it to be Frankie Rodriguez.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

K-Rod racked up the saves and deserves kudos for that. But if we're picking closers in their 2008 form, he's probably about my fourth pick - from the AL.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Fifth-best closer in his league, this year.

He didn't even deserve to be in the running.

4. Big Circus

Well said, Buck. ;)

5. Big Circus

And while we're ranking closers, the ones I like more than K-Rod are Rivera, Nathan and Soria. Who else are you throwing in - Papelbon? I could see that.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yep, he's the fifth.

Papelbon: 77/8 K/BB, 2.34 ERA, 0.952 WHIP.
    K-Rod: 77/34 K/BB, 2.24 ERA, 1.288 WHIP.

7. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Let me clarify: I don't disagree on where Rodriguez should rank among closers. I was talking about how I thought the vote would go. (And he did finish third.)

The first three on that list are correct -- Soria had an absolutely tremendous year. And while Papelbon's numbers weren't as good as the top three, I'd take him over K-Rod to protect a lead in the ninth.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Facts I'm sure all Mets fans are thrilled with if they do in fact sign him to big money long term

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Is Cliff still a head case like he was in high school and college?

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I trust Papelbon more, too, but I can see the argument that Rodriguez was more productive this season. He had more saves (62-41) and he converted a slightly higher percentage of his save chances (89.9 percent-89.1 percent). He also had a lower ERA.

11. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

He's a little quirky. I think he calmed down a lot when his son got sick. He still talks a lot of shit to idiots like Pierzynski, but I think he's less of a head case.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

He doesn't deserve that money; few closers do. But considering who the Mets have closing now, I'll be glad to take Rodriguez.

Draft saved Draft deleted