1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cliff Lee going back to Philly ... this needs its own thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Dec 14, 2010.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The fact that he turned down Texas gives Cashman some cover. He didn't reject NY for PHilly.

With ARod and Jeter in full diva mode, like 2 aging drag queens bickering about the lighting and drapes, Lee probably wanted no part of being the last piece to a decaying dynasty.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it has more to do with the media than the fans.

3. Crash

Crash Active Member

Philly's rotation is incredible, but I can't be the only one wondering where the offense will come from.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

I know Philly is no bed of raises, Gee. (Neither is Boston).
    But guys seem to crumble more in NY than anywhere.
    Lee already has some credit in the bank with Philly fans because of the 2009 WS but if he comes to NY with the rep as a Yankee killer and then fails, the outcry would be worse than anywhere.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I don't think its logical to assume that five games will be rained out this season and not made up.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Spnited, it seems to me that citing the crumbling of baseball free agents in New York, which has happened, may be a matter of confusing cause and effect. The New York teams sign an outsized percentage of the highest priced free agents. Therefore, it seems to me, they have likely signed an outsized percentage of the players who would crumble in any town because they couldn't handle the burden of making that much money anywhere. Look at Mike Torrez, whose performance deteriorated when he went FROM the Yankees to the Sox as a free agent. Ed Whitson would've been a bum no matter where he went. Johnny Damon was the same player for the Yanks as he was for his other teams. So is C.C.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He'd just rather have the Giants embarrass him in the NLCS than on the big stage of the World Series, I guess.

8. Mizzougrad96

Damn Straight. :D

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Just wish Philly would lust/reminisce just as much for Aaron Rowand and try to get him back.

10. Mizzougrad96

So Philly traded Lee for a shitload of prospects only to get him back a few months later? Not too shabby.

11. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Except the prospects they got were awful, they had to trade better players for Oswalt to save the 2010 season and they didnt have Lee for the playoffs when they lost to an inferior team. Otherwise, it was brilliantly played.

12. Mizzougrad96

Well, it worked out perfectly for me. My favorite team won the series. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted