1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Click"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 85bears, Jul 16, 2006.

1. 85bears

85bears Member

I know it's getting lambasted by critics, mostly for trying to work flatulence and loose skin jokes into a sentimental drama, but when you get past some of the immaturity, damn, that was a pretty intense movie (saw it last night).

People keep comparing it to "It's a Wonderful Life" and "A Christmas Carol." I thought "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind."

It was somewhat predictable, but the lesson, over-the-top as it may be, was not only creatively delivered, but one that a lot of us careerists on here need to take in. I don't have any kids, but I came home and hugged the shit out of my dog.

2. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Haven't seen it and don't intend to, but here's a big problem I have with it.

SEMI-SPOILER AHEAD

At one point, Sandler fast-forwards through foreplay with Kate Beckinsale. WTF?????? Also, making an English actress 'play American' is another sin. Part of the considerable charm of a Beckinsale is that crisp British accent.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Sandler is a whipping boy.

But this was a middle movie for him.

Not awful.

He can actually pull off some of the nuance of a poignant moment, where other comedic stars (read: Jim Carrey) just can't do it, destroying any potential dramatic moment.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

beckinsale would be an all-time beauty if she was mute. 8) 8)

5. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

She also needs to fire her agent. I mean, "Van Helsing" and two "Underworld" movies...gimmie a fuckin' break. She was great in "The Last Days of Disco".

6. the_rookie

the_rookie Member

O'Doyle Rules!

7. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

While I'll accept you enjoying the movie ... after the retread jokefest concluded, the ending proved very moving.

But I will be damned if you're going to put it in the same sentence as those three movies above. Especially the final one.

8. 85bears

85bears Member

As a concept, I meant.

Draft saved Draft deleted