1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cleveland sportswriters

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shallow_gal, Oct 8, 2008.

1. godspell

godspell Member

One more name that deserves to be on this list: Michael Weinreb, maybe the best of them all.

Shame I forgot him because he's been out of the market for a while, but if Tom Reed is on this list, then Weinreb should be on it. Weinreb has done Pulitzer-quality work.

Bill Livingston No. 1 ... Jason Llyod ... unbelievable ...

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Surprised no one has brought this up:

No love for the ladies in Cleveland over the past quarter century? Kind of a sexist list, don't ya think?

sporty likes this.
  3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Great call. Weinreb is an outstanding talent. But he was only at the Beacon for a few years, IIRC. As a feature writer, he was probably the absolute best at the time. But when they gave him a column, I thought his voice started to get lost on the assembly line. As much as I liked those early glimpses, he's still growing as a writer, as evidenced by his book about chess.

4. godspell

godspell Member

I think Weinreb was at the ABJ as long as Lesmrrsrsrers has been at the PD, no?

And another name that just popped into my head: Bart Hubbuch.

As for the ladies, I actually tried to come up with some but they haven't been that great. Marla Ridenour, MaryKay Cabot, Amy Rosewater, Mary Schmitt Boyer ... Am I missing any big female star?

5. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Mary Kay Cabot is pretty versatile, creative and not too bad looking.

6. 20questions

20questions Guest

Liz Robbins

7. I Digress

I Digress Guest

well, then let's re-order the men based on their looks.. or perhaps you can just stop and reconsider that your post was incredibly insulting on many levels.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Consider the source.

9. shallow_gal

shallow_gal New Member

I found this book in my basement yesterday, which reminded me of posting this on here 100 years ago. Kind of funny to go back through the list now 100 years later.

10. Terry Pluto, Plain Dealer. Still there.
    9. Tom Reed, ABJ: Now in Pittsburgh, I think.
    8. Tony Grossi, Plain Dealer: Now at a radio station.
    7. Paul Hoynes, Plain Dealer: Still there.
    6. Bud Shaw, Plain Dealer: Retired.
    5. Jason Lloyd, Lorain/Lake County: Athletic
    4. Brian Windhorst, ABJ (Now PD): ESPN
    3. Doug Lesmerises, PD: Still there.
    2. Jim Ingraham, Lorain/Lake County: Retired.
    1. Bill Livingston, PD: Retired (thank God).

Most of the PD guys are still there. Everyone else moved on. Funny how different this list would look today.

TigerVols likes this.
  10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

This is one hell of a thread bump.

[​IMG]

Hermes, SFIND, garrow and 3 others like this.
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And Ace still doesn't make the cut.

Hermes, SFIND, I Should Coco and 3 others like this.
  12. sporty

sporty Member

This list is a joke. Of course, Pluto should be higher. But even more alarming is the lack diversity on that list. It's good ole white boy heaven. Let me toss out some names who should near the top: Elton Alexander (PD and ABJ), Michael Holley (ABJ), Branson Wright (PD), who was the real authority on LBJ during his first run in Cleveland not overblown ass Brian Windhorst, Justice B. Hill (MLB.com), Roger Brown (PD columnist) and Chris Haynes (PD). There was also a women who covered the Browns for the ABJ, whose name escapes me but she was the best writer on the Browns that beat has ever had. Also, while Mary Kay Cabot hasn't been the greatest, she has been on the Browns beat for 30 years now and has broke her fair share of stories. Livingston, who has been mailing his column in for 30 years now, should make his own list at No.7. And yes, a list that doesn't request Withers is just ignorant, too. I grew up in Cleveland and use to read Livingston as a kid and like him personally but he is the epitome of what's wrong with that market.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted