1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cleveland Browns lay off 15

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 22, 2009.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Is that what is it? I have a feeling this all is greed and a chance to make a few extra bucks disguised with "we feel your pain" mouth-moving. In other words, bullshit.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Mangini wanted the assistant groundskeeper and security director fired?

3. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

I guess the browns haven't laid off the painters yet. Good one Mangenius.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Okay.
    Maybe every one of the people who got pink slips were "shafted".
    Could be.
    But you gotta have a Plan B, especially in this day and age.
    I think sports franchises tended in past years to overstock the staff in the front office.
    The grunts who clean the stadiums and the skyboxes and the arena or stadium grounds, those are the hardest workers.
    And the least paid workers in the organization.
    I don't wish unemployment on anyone, but the good thing is that there are other jobs out there.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Put him on defense and have Jake Delhomme throw it.

6. Sharky22

Sharky22 Member

Hey Blitz, why don't you do a little research for once in your life. No such thing as a media relations staff overstaffed. These people, every single one of them, rival sportswriters for the amount of time they spend in the office. And there's more than you think who work more hours than sportswriters.

Just because you see them sitting at a game doesn't mean you know what's going on. And to make that kind've comment when someone's livelihood just got taken away is a callous, callous comment. Grow up.

7. Sharky22

Sharky22 Member

Incredibly ignorant.

Makes me wish every media relations person in the country ignores every request and every request you have from now on. You deserve it.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Writers don't really need someone walking around every half-quarter handing them a score sheet from games around the country.
    That sort of thing should be available up on a table, behind press row.
    If writers want to see what's happening, they can go pick it up.
    Play-by-play sheets, too.

Ever been to a pressbox? I have.
    Lots and lots of wasted paper strewn across the place.
    Media relations staffs are often overstaffed. That's my opinion.
    Deal with it.

And I already addressed the part about people getting fired.
    I see that their lives are changed. I am sympathetic.
    Have a Plan B, though.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Terry Pluto was about as negative as he's ever been toward the Browns in The PD today. Took the Browns to task for unloading many of these people while keeping news about the team away from the public.

He's been in a few press boxes.

10. Sharky22

Sharky22 Member

You have absolutely no understanding of how a press box really works. Instead, you walk in and grab your food and sit down and watch your free game.

If you have such an issue with the paper being handed out, why don't you say you don't need it? Novel idea. And you really think the guy who just got fired was one of the ones who hands paper out? If you've got such a problem with people being handed stats, why don't you go back to high school and track it yourself.

I know sportswriters complain sometimes that people don't truly know what they do. Well, it seems I've found a sportswriter who has absolutely no idea what media relations people do. Take a minute and learn something for once.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Sharky, do yourself a favor.
    Work like hell at whatever job it is you do.
    But realize that you might be out of that job tomorrow.
    Or next month.
    Have a Plan B.
    And one more thing,
    Don't run around looking for pity or screaming about how much of an injustice it is if and when you do get released.
    Simply go find something else, perhaps similar or maybe completely different that you can do and get paid for.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Save the idiocy.

Plan Bs are rapidly becoming nonexistent. Quit blaming the victim.

Draft saved Draft deleted