1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cleveland bar help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by joe, Jun 8, 2012.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Can't do much better than this. You want a hole-in-the-wall, there is Nick's Sports Grill and Lounge farther down Prospect past Winking Lizard and just before you get to E4th St. Cheap drinks and cheap food. I think the grill is a toaster oven LOL

If you're over at Mallorca, that's the Warehouse District which is still popular. That's on W9; Barley House and Dive Bar on W6 are two places for cheap drinks and cheaper thrills. Lots of higher class places around there as well.

One place that's a bit off the beaten track but might be very popular on Marine Week is Becky's Bar & Grill on E18th between Payne and Chester. That's a favorite haunt of Cleveland police and firefighters and the like, so could be a good hangout for Marine Week. It's a mile walk from the Hampton -- pretty much straight down Superior and you turn south for a short distance on E18th. I think the walk would be safe for four dudes even late at night.

There's also Ambassador Bowling Lanes down Superior just before E15 that could be a good place during Marine Week. Old school and attractive to law enforcement. Might be a draw, and it's very close to your hotel.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Damn, I still miss The Theatrical...

3. the fop

the fop Member

becky's used to be popular with plain dealer night-side folks, so if you think you're good enough to drink with the plain dealer . . .

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

The spirit of spnited compels me to remind you that all of Cleveland shuts down at 9 p.m. and is a damn flyover town

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away . . .

6. joe

joe Active Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. I'm looking forward to the trip (although not the 11-hour drive).

7. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

This has helped me as well. Mrs. Fly, Flyette and I are planning to come down to Cleveland next weekend, barring any crises arising beforehand. We're planning to hit the Projake Saturday afternoon to watch the Indians and Pirates. Will be dining Saturday night at Fatheads, and then Melt Sunday for our lunch/brunch heading out of town (I really want to try their June sandwich of the month, their take on a Bahn Mi that looks outstanding)...good thing we're only a couple hour drive away.

Here's my question for the Clevelanders who've been to the ballpark more than me (which is none): With Saturday being a 4pm start we don't want to get seats in an area where we're going to be baking in the sunshine the entire game. Are there sections that would work better than others for shade? Third base side? Behind the plate? Left field line?

TIA folks!

8. patchs

patchs Active Member

Funny, I'm going to be in Cleveland for the first 2 games of the Reds series (June 18-19).
    Being Monday and Tuesday games, I'm not expecting the bar scene to be too crazy. I might hit Winking Lizard for some wings.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Was there last year when Hafner hit a walk-off grand slam against the Mariners. Friday night game. Dollar hot dog night. Place was pretty packed, and the bars were nuts afterward. You would have though the Tribe would have won more than a May baseball game. Then again, as an Orioles fan, I can appreciate finding things to get excited over.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'll be driving through Cleveland with the family next week. Might also hit Winking Lizard.

The good thing about Winking Lizard is its equally OK to take your family in there for something to eat as well as drink to your heart's content with the adults.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

[​IMG]

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The Theatrical is now a parking garage.

Who knew Cleveland was the center of the SJ universe this week? Who's up for a Tribe game next weekend?

Draft saved Draft deleted