1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cleveland bank heist solved, 52 years later

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Nov 13, 2021.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

One of the reasons I live a life of boring mediocrity is so that, if I have a reason to just disappear, very few people would notice.

Hermes and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That's hilarious how the marshall is taking credit for solving the mystery when the guy admitted it all on his deathbed.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Great find. Now I'll have to listen to that podcast. One of the teasers has my attention as a golfer:

Tom was a scratch golfer. Good enough he could have gone pro. So why didn't he?

The world is full of scratch golfers who couldn't play as pros. But he had the money to keep the dream alive for as long as he wanted.

garrow and BitterYoungMatador2 like this.
  6. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I listened to the podcast series a while back.

Like most podcasts, it is too much filler.

I rolled my eyes at his “semi pro” golf exploits and turning down the tour. Being a scratch likely gets you in the top flight of the Club Championship. There’s no story about this guy stacking up state am/open wins.

I found the podcast disappointing. I think they had the daughter voiced by an actress, that didn’t work very well to my ear.

playthrough likes this.
  7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

His total haul in 1969 was $250K, and that was likely kept in a 1969 account that didn't draw much attention (or interest). Unless it was kept in a briefcase where he paid cash every so often.

Anyone with a 401K t0day is assumed to approach that number when all is said and done.

Draft saved Draft deleted